Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An Article On CO Alarms

There is information here that contradicts everything the real experts have taught me.  I think some calls are in order to set the author and editor straight on this.  And certainly a very high profile retraction/ correction is in order that they need to publish before more people are killed by this misinformation.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I don't think it matters much Dave...

I have an associate who spends about 50% of his time investigating CO cases for insurance companies, law firms etc. I asked him if CO accumulated in any particular region, and he said that there is little to no discernable difference in concentration levels between the highest part of a room and the lowest part of the room. He typically re-creates the situation that causes spillage and documents his findings. What a job...

I think that what is more important is to have them at the area where you will be sleeping, and one on each floor, not just one per house, although that is better than none per home...

It is obvious that the person who wrote it is not an expert in the field. Looks like they were short verbage for being able to fill the page.

Were you taught something different as it pertain to placement?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 64
    CO monitor

I just looked at the instructions for my First Alert CO monitor and it tells you to mount it on a wall EXCEPT within 4 inches where the ceiling meets the wall.  I could find no lower limit  for mounting it on a wall in the instructions. This infers to me that I could mount it on the wall near the floor but not near the ceiling. I wonder what instructions another CO manufacturer has.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Alarm placement:

I think that instruction goes along with SD alarms. If you look at soot patterns after a fire, you will notice that the corners of a wall will be clean. There is a dead air circulation spot in corners. If you mount a SD in a corner, it will not react as quickly. Because many SD are also, Co detectors, I think they just assumed that the better location is outside those bad smoke pattern areas. As far as CO is concerned, I don't know it it makes a difference. With smoke, it does. It's visual.

Just my thoughts.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    edited January 2011
    CO has a specific gravity

at around 60 degrees F of .97 which means it is slightly lighter than air and mixes very well with air which is SG 1.0.

I have found however in cooler temps say down around 32 degrees it seems to take longer to rise. I read somewhere that its SG can go up as temperature goes down.

Here is what I teach my students concerning location of the detector. Locate it between HEAD to BED, I like rhymes it helps people to remember. What is the it means your head standing up and your bed lying down, that is were we all live so it is the best place. Those detectors however are the CO-Experts as all my student order them when they come to my classes. The UL approved can go were the manufacturer specifies. It is not good to locate them near cooking equipment and inside boiler or furnace rooms. George Kerr (CO-EXPERTS OWNER) has stated that a CO alarm will go off before a smoke alarm in a fire. I have never tested it but I believe him as he KNOWS.

CO-EXPERTS are not UL 2034 approved because they alarm too low at around 10 PPM . UL approved alarm at 70 PPM after 240 minutes. I would install one UL approved to cover the law and as many of the others as you can afford as they are $179.00.

The NCI Monitor

can only be purchased from NCI after attending their classes I believe.

The CO- Experts can be purchased at www.aeromedix.com

CO Experts Model 2010

CO Experts Low Level CO Monitor Model 2010 is the most sensitive CO detector you can buy and it is EXCLUSIVELY sold in the aviation market by Aeromedix.com.

Use Coupon Code COEXP2010 for free FedEx Ground Shipping.

[u][color=#0000ff]more...[/color][/u]

List: $249.00

Our Price: $179.00

Savings: $70.00
This discussion has been closed.