Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New vs Reman

If you had your choice  of a new or remanufactured part for the same price. The difference being the remanufactured part has double the warranty.  Which would you choose?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    marvellous warranty

will the seller, or the manufacturer still be around for the whole period of the warranty

my experience is colored by roofing warranties, and with a 20 year period, a disappointment,  the roofer was no longer in business after a few years!--nbc
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Part $ vs Labor $

In my line of work, automotive repair, we offer a 12mo, 12,000 mile warranty on both parts and labor. We look at what it would cost us in labor to replace the failed part, some parts are very easy to change, and therefore a lifetime part may make sense. BUT also there is a vast difference in quality of said parts, There are lots of lifetime warranty starters, alternators, & brake pads out there, sold by big company's that will be around in 10 years, that I would not touch with a 10' pole or especially install on a customers car. Remember, as far as automotive parts go warranty's are a Marketing function, not a reflection of the part quality. I would think warranties on HVAC parts would be similar.

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,131
    Another question here...

is the new part a "will fit"?  Is it by the original manufacturer?  Or is it a copy by somebody?  If it is a copy, is it made of the original materials?  If it is metal, are the metals the same alloys, treated to the same specifications?  Machined to the same specifications?  Just because it looks the same and will fit doesn't mean it is the same.  We run into this in the aircraft business from time to time (the vendor doesn't stay in business long in that area!).  If the reman part is from the OEM and cleaned and remachined or whatever to new specs., I'd take it over a will fit any day.  On the other hand, if the new part is OEM, or really OEM approved, then maybe the new one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I use

reman controls, circulator motors, bearing assemblies, and any other hard to find parts. The warranty is twice the original manufacture at 1/2 the cost in most cases. Sids rule in my book
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    And I never use

re-manufactured parts unless I have no other choice. I will not even replace a cartridge in a circulator as it has bit me in the back side too many times. DO what works for you. Last circ I changed the cartridge in had a factory defect in the volute that cause pumping issues and noise. Since I install all my circs with isolation valves labor is less to replace than rebuild. If you are getting remans Yes Sid is the only place I would trust.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • billtwocase
    If Taco

Charlie, a Taco cartridge has a 3 year warranty where the circ itself is 1 year. The thing is the cartridge is almost the same as a complete pump. That is pretty much the reason I rarely change just the cartridge. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Bill I have found

We all need to do it right and that is different for each of us. Yeah the cost of a cartridge does not make sense to me. You do good work, I think I do good work but we disagree on remans. End of the day at least we can both sleep at night. I can also say that I am glad your oil company is on the Cape as if it was local I would get less work from disgruntled oil company customers. You ready for the storm coming? You guys are getting more snow so far this winter than we are out in the hills.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • billtwocase
    Nah Charlie

You could make some cash replacing my remans with new. I think we will Ok this time around, just a dusting I hope.I think you will see more than us. Was just enjoying seeing some bare ground. The dolly don't have 4 wheel drive. No doubt your work is top notch Charlie, otherwise you wouldn't be here and other sites sharing and learning
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    New vs Reman

I haven't stocked burner motors on my truck but I've had to change 4 in the last year. I was expecting to see more than $0.56 difference in the price of a new PSC motor and the remanufactured PSC motor. We get 2 years on the remanufactured and 1 year on the new. I have had good results with the controls and pumps. Has ayone been using Sid's motors. Do they hold up as well as the controls?
  • billtwocase
    World

Only specialty burner motors. I prefer new burner motors when common. I tried their Heat Chief when they first came out, but found them noisy, so I use Beckett's. Other than that, the prices and products are good. 
This discussion has been closed.