Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Thermostats

Options
Hi All,

I am considering a replacement thermostat because the previous owners installed one that only has 6 cycles per hour (way too many for 1-pipe steam). I don't need anything complicated and have narrowed it down to two models. They are both Honeywell and the model numbers are RTH7600 or RTH2310. I like both because they are small and both claim to support steam systems. The strange thing is, the RTH7600 'Steam' setting is 1 cycle per hour but the RTH2310 'Steam' setting is 2 cycles per hour.

My question is will I really see a difference between 1 cycle per hour and 2 cycles per hour on a steam system? One last piece of information is that I know my boiler is oversized for the house because the pro that I had come and review the system said my boiler is '3 sizes too big for the house.

TIA,

Mark

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Actually,

you probably would.  I'd be inclined to go with the 7600...

If the boiler really is much too big, it will cycle on pressure with either one -- won't make any difference, really.  But keep the pressure low...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.