Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bizarre statute of limitations deal...

Since when is there a statue of limitations where death is involved???

<a href="http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101207/NEWS/101209868&parentprofile=search">http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101207/NEWS/101209868&parentprofile=search</a>

This has to be a record for the slowest indictment and arraignment of any case in the history of this country...

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Gub'ment Limitations:

ME,

Thanks for the post. It warms my heart to think of all out there who "hate that stinkin' Gub'ment. Don't need no stinkin Gub'ment employee tellin' me how to do my work." This is the outcome. Someone (innocent) dies, someone is responsible. Although I sometimes am annoyed at having to deal with things I didn't anticipate, I'm grateful I live in a State that is on top of the latest safety issues. Heatinghelp.com is having this prize for the worst boiler. It should be the worst and most unsafe venting job. Except, the problems are usually unseen. A lack of understanding about draft and positive/negative pressures. There's all kinds of education out there and many "experts" on hydraulic/hydronic piping and can tell you about the intricacies if fluids moving through pipes and how to pump them with multiple pumps and mixing valves through integrated pumping systems.Primary/secondary. But haven't a clue about what makes the exhaust leave the structure. That it may have become an primary/secondary piping system without anyone ever being aware or understanding it.

Massachusetts has required smoke and now CO alarms for years. They are required to be hard wired in all new dwellings. A dwelling that is sold must be retrofitted and brought up to code. And that would have been long before 2008. But, if I install a gas appliance in a structure it MUST have a working CO detector or no sign off.

Last week, five teenagers in Miami, FL rented a hotel room to go to some religious event. When no one had heard from them, someone went looking for them. They were all found dead of CO poisoning. Seems that the hotel had parking under the units and you could get to your car from the room. The car was having problems and they left the car running. We know the rest. In Massachusetts, a hotel or lodging house must have working CO and smoke detectors in working conditions to get and keep their annual license. I guess that's not so in Miami, FL. Don't want no Gub'ment inspectors telling you how to do your work? You may meet "The Man" from the attorney's General office in a negligence death investigation.

I'm glad to live and work in a State that looks out for ALL of us. And does its best to keep the hacks at bay. Most all the New England states are this way. Thankfully.

A lot of sadness and shed tears over these terrible and needless deaths.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Unbelievable

Have many times have we gone into someone's home, looked at the hack job of a heating system and wondered, "How has someone not already been killed by this system?"

I read an article recently in P&M about the California Licensing Board running stings to catch unlicensed contractors.  What about the licensed contractors that are incompetent?  They are worse in my book.  The HO's feel that the guy is licensed, he must know something.  I say ramp up the requirements and con-ed's.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Hqaving been in this

business for many years, I have seen it all believe me! So what are the areas that need attention? How about this:

1. Most licensed heating contractors no very little about combustion.

2. Most know nothing about CO protection for themselves when entering a dwelling.

3. Almost none carry a Combustible Gas Detector. The nose does not measure % of gas in a dwelling. Remember there can be "odorant fade". I have experienced that several times in my career.

4. Many contractors are limited in their knowledge of gas controls and wiring procedures for new technology along with diagnosis beyond flashing LED's or fault codes.

5. One of the worst industries as far as gas safety is the Propane industry. Most do not have CO detectors, combustible gas detectors etc.

The list could go on add to it if I missed something.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I hear ya Chris...

The less government I have in my life, the better off I feel I am, but there some times comes a place in the road where action is necessary on a national basis, and I think this is it.

Licensure is just a tax revenue stream for most jurisdictions. I'm thinking there is a need to require combustion analysis in all sectors of the code, and a need to test and certify the technicians as being competent. I thin there is also a need for system documentation on commissioning.

I know there are people who will heartily disagree with me, and hey, that is their perogative. So long as we agree to disagree in civil discourse.

I am in the process of arranging a meeting with the Chief Boiler inspector here in Colorado with a number of other associates to talk about things like this.

Also, if anyone in Colorado is interested, we once again are attempting to get legislation pushed through to require the testing and licensure of HVAC contractors in the state of COlorado. (CO at the beginning is intentional). Contact me at markeathertonatmacdotcom if you are interested in participating.

2011 looks like it will be an interesting year out here...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.