Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Newbie question..all help appreciated

Options
AJ1
AJ1 Member Posts: 24
I am new HO and I would like to find out the following:

Old Steam boiler running on Beckett AFG OIL burner.

1. What should be the ideal pressure range on the pump.

2. Which type of nozzle solid or hollow and what advantages each have

3. If the pump pressure is raised to say 140 PSI what harmful effect it will have,nozzle is .85GPH

4. Does the fire bricks get red hot,when looking at it immediately after the burner cuts off

5. what should be the cutoff pressure

6. Any pressure gauge recommend to measure the pressure on the pump.

Since its not a factory installed burner on this boiler...what is the best way to make sure that the flame is correct visually....I am not overly concerned about the efficiency readings but nevertheless want to know what visual signs do u pros look for while looking at the flame.

The color of the flame is dark orange...I suspect it shall be yellowish...visually if Co2 is in the 10-12% range..what color shall the flame be...

Also how to make sure there isnt any unburnt oil in the flame...does the flame looks reddish if all atomized oil is NOT burnt..

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Test?

This has got to be a test
  • AJ1
    Options
    thank you for

your pun...I knew I am asking a silly question...nevertheless share your expertise...
  • AJ1
    Options
    thank you for

your pun...I knew I am asking a silly question...nevertheless share your expertise...
  • AJ1
    Options
    burner tech

insisted that no test will be good since its an old boiler..he set up at 140 psi hollow .85 gph nozzle..I think the pressure is too high...what implications it will have...

also what difference does a hollow or solid nozzle makes
  • AJ1
    Options
    thank you SLO

BTW what is meant by soothing up a boiler..pardon my ignorance..
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    firing rate

higher pump pressure is a good thing as long as he lowered the nozzle so it won't exceed the max firing rate. 140 psi is becoming a minimum pressure. We need more info, 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    A combustion test...

such as SLO-115 suggests, is a combustion test -- and will be valid on any oil burner (or gas burner, for that matter).  It simply ensures that the burner is getting the right amount of air for the fuel being metered in, and that the draught is correct.  The fact that it is an old boiler is totally irrelevant to the combustion test.

However, what is relevant to the boiler is the firing rate, determined by the nozzle rating (e.g. 0.85 gph) and the pump pressure; the angle of the spray pattern, and whether the spray pattern is solid or hollow.  Every boiler has a range of acceptable firing rates and a specific spray pattern angle and whether the spray is solid or hollow cone.  Anything else will result in any one of several possible bad results.  Underfiring (too low a fuel delivery rate) and the boiler simply won't boil; it will just sit there and simmer.  Overfiring may do serious damage to the boiler.  So may use of the wrong cone angle or pattern.

I would make every effort to find out what firing rate, at least, your old boiler was meant for -- and, if possible, the pattern.  If you give us the boiler type, someone may be able to dig out that information.

Then have a competent oil tech., who does not want to sell you a new boiler, come and set the burner up properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • AJ1
    Options
    boiler form the look

of it an coal fired steam boiler..the word ITACHA NY is imprinted on it.I can take pics..but not sure if it will help...it has two door openings...its really old...and I called beckett and they told me with the help of the serial number that this burner was not sold as part of a boiler..
  • AJ1
    Options
    solid or hollow

What is the main advantage/disadvantage of either type of nozzle..and links that can explain in detail..
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    Options
    doesen't know enough

Hire a qualified tech in your area, as he is servicing your equipment he should explain and answer all of your questions. And you will get a job done well.
This discussion has been closed.