Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TRV's

Options
Anyone know of a company that makes 1-1/2" TRV's?

Thanks

Oh, and by the way, here's the only pic I have so far of the 1 pipe graviry system discussed earlier. This particular rad was apparently added at some time. It is the only one with the return tieing back into the main above the floor. All the rest have the rad return going through the floor and back into the main. You can see one of the returns at the top of this picture tieing back into the main gravity drop from the radiator on the floor above.

Jeff

Comments

• amuller
    amuller Member Posts: 16
    Options
    And that radiator heats?

Hard to believe.....
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Bi Directional

Wow! water going both ways in one pipe. I won't have expected it to work.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Try Oventrop.

They don't list one, but I bet they have it somewhere.

I know a couple of contacts with the North American office if you need them let me know.  The local supply reps won't have a clue on anything that large in a TRV.

Good Luck.
  • World Plumber
    Options
    1-1/2 concersion of angle valve

R. Kalia

January 31, 2006

@ 8:53 PM

Contact this user

Yes, looking for Tunstall led me to Macon Associates and they make these conversion kits: http://www.maconcontrols.com/ezcht901.html Probably complicated and expensive, but still, the first potentially useful item I have found. Thanks!
  • World Plumber
    Options
    conversion valve

Plumb Bob

February 12, 2008

@ 3:34 PM

Contact this user

The search function easily brings up the following thread from Tunstall, as well as other threads with the same information: http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=319260&_#Message319260 They will sell you a converted manual valve, you do not have to do the conversion unless you want to.
  • World Plumber
    Options
    conversion valve

Plumb Bob

February 12, 2008

@ 3:34 PM

Contact this user

The search function easily brings up the following thread from Tunstall, as well as other threads with the same information: http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=319260&_#Message319260 They will sell you a converted manual valve, you do not have to do the conversion unless you want to.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    TRV's on Gravity Systems

Be careful - the pressure drop through the valve might stop flow.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jeff Perry_3
    Jeff Perry_3 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    I agree

If I found a valve I was going to call the manufacturer and talk to them about this application.
  • Jeff Perry_3
    Options
    Actually it's not

going both ways. If you look for a post by me last week you'll see the whole story behind this system. It's a 1 pipe gravity system. Water is flowing from the attic down through 3 floors and the radiators are connected like this. Works womderfully.

We discussed a boiler replacement and had a discussion about a circulator. I felt, as did others that if you install a circ it potentially will stop heating. We have decided to offer them a new cast iron boiler set up for gravity. There would not be enough to repipe the system.

Why change what works if you don't need to.

Thanks

Jeff
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Diverter Tees

Jeff,

Are those standard or diverter (O.S.) Tee's? If they're standard, I don't see how you'd be able to add any restriction without it stopping flow.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jeff Perry_3
    Options
    Just standard

tees. I agree with you. I am very concerned that if I add a TRV to this gravity system we may cause an issue with flow even when they're fully open. If I can find an 1-1/2" valve I was first going to talk to someone at the manufacturer. I was then going to purchase 1 and see if it worked on a rad before buying a house full of them.

Jeff
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    If you put in one

and things don't work it does not mean a house full will not work. You may be better finding throttling valves to balance the flow rather than stopping it completely.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jeff Perry_3
    Options
    Problem is

owner is looking to have TRV's so he can set temperatures in each room and not have to manually change a standard valve. We have several problems with this. One is the size. Installing 1-1/4" TRV's will mean repiping the supply to each rad and in most cases it will be tough.

The other issue is the existing rad valves are installed backwards. The tailpiece that usually is screwed into the rad is actually screwed into the main gravity drop coming frm the attic. So even if we find a 1-1/2" TRV we will need to ask if we can flow it backwards. And that's on top of this being a 1 pipe grvity system.

We'll probably just leave the entire system alone except possiby replacing the boiler.

Jeff
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Tunstall

We've used Tunstall on older valves. They actually rebuilt the old valves with new TRV plungers and the operator adapter (Oventrop) of our choice. These were on an old 2 pipe gravity conversion system with a pump, so your MMV..

The only problem with this idea is that if you don't have access to a "spare" valve, you will have to wait until it is convenient to shut down the system to pull the valve and send it back for the rebuild. Tough to do in the middle of the winter.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.