Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blizzard

Options
Mark N
Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
The Blizzard of 2010 and steam heat. Perfect together.

Comments

• FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Except ...

When your boiler goes on the fritz and you need to find a technician with snow shoes. But I found one.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Up and Running

Good to see that you are up and running.
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Thanks ...

Good to be warm and toasty on a gusty night. Was shoveling snow for two hours. I'm pooped.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Shoveling show.

"Was shoveling snow for two hours. I'm pooped."

We got about 5 feet of snow at my house. Now when I lived in Buffalo, N.Y., that was no big deal and happened several times each winter. But here in New Jersey, we have not had such a snowfall since 1977, if I remember right. And now I am 72 and do not enjoy it much. I had to take the storm pane out of my kitchen door, so I could get out, because I could not open my doors. The snow came half way up them. I then spend about 1/2 hour moving snow out of the way with my hands so I could walk to the garage (only about 30 feet or so) where the snow shovel was. Snow so deep my feet did not hit a hard surface, making walking, if you can call what I was doing walking, almost impossible. In the two hours, I managed to shovel from the garage to my front door, at most 20 feet.

My neighbors took pity on me and cleaned my driveway with a snow blower. It took two of them about an hour, one with a shovel (snow too deep for a snow blower alone) and one with a snow blower. Technically, I should shovel the 180 feet of sidewalk by noon tomorrow. Otherwise a fine of $35/day until it is gone. I will never buy a house on a corner again.

Heat works fine, though.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Not the snow so much...

as the wind.  We only got a foot of the stuff, or thereabouts -- but there are places (like part of the drive from the barns to the house) which are blown completely clear... on the other hand there are places (like in front of the horse barn doors) which are drifted about five feet deep (and I need to get in there -- they're hungry).

But Cedric is happily thundering away in the basement, and the house is nice and comfortable!  I do like steam heat...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.