Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Switch Radiators

Hi all,

I have a north facing 3 outside wall addition with lots of glass. Measures 25 x 13 with 10.5 ceilings sloping down to 8.5 begining at 5 feet away from 2 side walls. Patio door, 2 skylights, 2 avg sized double hung windows and a side entry door with glass on upper half. walls are 2x4 with code min boca insualtion (r-17?). The radiators we have are undersized by my calculations. They are Sunrad recessed, are not recessed they are freestanding like a non recessed rad. They measure 22 w x 20 h with 9 openings. I calc'd the BTUs to be about  4860 btus. The contractor used these because he got them for for free. There is one on each side of addition. The room is cold & drafty and we have already insulation the crawlspace walls underneath & sealed the vents. I calculate room requirements to be around 13,000 btus. Upstairs we have oversized rads in the bedrooms. It gets hot as hell upstairs when we are kicking the heat to warm downstairs. I was thinking of switching the one Sunrad with one from one bedroom (BR dim. 16'3" x 9'6" x 7'6") Rad size: 4 tube 20 sections 24.5"H .them. Do you see any problem with that?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    This is steam, I presume?

The only potential problem is the size of the pipes to the smaller radiators downstairs.  If it's one pipe steam, that is very critical -- check Lost Art for sizing, or come back and we can find it.  Two pipe is a little less critical, but it still could be a problem if the pipes are too small.

Other than that, should work assuming the fittings match up...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.