Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrade to System 2000?

Options
I am upgrading my 50 year old oil boiler, and am considering System 2000. However, I would like some opinions on if there are any better options or choices. I live in a 960 sq/ft house in Eastern PA. I know that the Buderus GB125 series,Peerless Pinnacle and Thermodynamics TDX 90 all qualify for the federal tax credit, but know nothing else about what these systems might cost or if they are really as energy efficient as they claim to be. Right now I keep the temperature at 64 during the day, and 60 at night, and went through 100 gallons in a month. Any suggestions on which system to upgrade to would be appreciated. My quote for System 2000 is $8500 and I am not willing to go much higher than that.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The Buderus

G125BE is a non-condensing that has a 90+ AFUE and qualifies for the tax credit. The GB125BE is the condensing version. Both have a specially designed burner that burns with a blue flame that is virtually soot-free. That can add up to alot of savings that isn't in the AFUE number. Just a little bit of soot can substantially reduce a boiler's efficiency. Both have a flexible cast iron that can withstand thermal shock allowing outdoor reset with much cooler return water temps. That means more $$$ saved on fuel. Both require the contractor to be trained and certified to purchase and install them and for him to keep any proprietary parts in stock.

As you can see, I'm partial to these boilers. But my advice to you would be the same as I always give anybody here: It's more important to choose a good contractor than the best boiler. A good contractor will install any boiler well, and a lousy contractor will mess up the best boiler made.

If you haven't chosen a contractor yet, check the "Find a Contractor" tab above and www.Buderus.us for a certified installer.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • boogsawaste
    boogsawaste Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Prices

Thank you!! Do you know how price comparable the G125BE is to System 2000? I got an estimate for System 2000 for $8500. Would G125BE be much more, less, about the same? I am trying to get some estimates but am also trying to save time since this is the end of the year and I would like to be able to get the tax credit if possible. Any guestimates would be much appreciated.
  • Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Tundra

I prefer the Biasi but the Buderus is good also. Your contractor is as important as the boiler. If you opt for the 2000 your contractor is extremely important.
This discussion has been closed.