Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Latent Heat at Work

Options
Other than steam heating, how does latent heat work for you?

Everytime I use my pressure cooker, I am amazed that I can cook things so quickly.  Beets that normally take 45 minutes to cook in a normal steamer cook in 15 minutes, less if I use the higher pressure setting.  Same with artichokes.

I tell my girlfriend about the difference between sensible and latent heat.  Like a good woman, she acts interested, but I can tell she's not as into it as I am.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    And then...

there's evaporative cooling -- latent heat in reverse, as it were!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Latent Pressure Cookers:

I'm not sure how latent and sensible heat apply to pressure cookers but they work on the fact that water boils at 212 degrees at sea level and with 3# pressure, the boiling point goes up. Square root of the pressure X 14 + 198 + boiling point under 3# pressure. The water in the food then boils at a higher temperature. Thus, cooking it faster. But pressure cooked food has a certain taste. Raw carrots cooked in a pressure cooker will have an off taste. Carrots boiled in water have another taste. Raw carrots cooked in a microwave taste like fresh picked carrots. The radiation waves heat the moisture from the inside. It's the ability to get the water hotter than 212 degrees that does it. Any hotter and it converts to steam.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    All mod cons use it

The latent heat from the flue gases is what gives the high efficiency rates.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.