Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Testo 327 or Bacharach Insight?

Steve_35
Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
We're looking to buy another CA.  I'm looking at Testo's 327 and Bacharach's Insight.  Definitely need a printer.  Something that's field serviceable and that doesn't have to go back for calibration is almost a must.

I like the looks of Testo's hose connection and the way the probe locks into the vent.  Having the water trap in the unit seems a nice touch.  NOx filter is nice as is the particulate filter.  I don't like the built-in rechargeable battery.  Really easy to throw new batteries in.  Hard sometimes to charge a rechargeable on the fly.

I've read a couple of comments that the 327's reaction time is slower than the Insight's.  Is that the case?  If so, just how much?

All in all I like the looks of the 327 a little better.  Any field feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Testo

We like them. Haven't had any issues, and are not that slow. I can't knock Insight, never used one, but sporting that name, it's gotta be a quality tester.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Testo 327

Bought one a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. Battery life has not been a problem. Have done about 30 tests and only recharged it twice. If the battery gets low you can always operate from AC with the charger.

Also like the built in manometer function which is great for measuring gas manifold pressures.
  • MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    I vote Testo

I have the Testo 330-1, with the infrared (sp?) printer. One of the best tools I ever bought. I can't speak for how responsive it is compared to others, Testo is all I've ever owned. I only see nat gas here in the Greater Chicago area.

The battery charge lasts a very long time. You can use this instrument while it's plugged into a wall outlet, so it's never been an issue.

I save the customers name and address and it prints out on the analysis. My name, phone number and e mail prints out along the bottom. I print two copies, one I staple to the customers' copy of my report, the other I staple to my copy, even though it is saved in the instrument.

I met Testos' Jim Bergman at a trade show a few years ago, one of the sharpest guys I've ever met. He has written many trade articles and has some youtube videos out there as well. I believe it's his dad that set up a web site to buy hvac diagnostic equipment from, including Testo. Send me a pm and I'll look up the address.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Bacharac Insight for me...

I had a Testo. When I had to send it in for service, they held it for 4 weeks. Hope their service department has gotten caught up (doubtful) since then.

I guess if you have more than one analyzer laying around, you can afford to wait for your unit to get serviced and sent back. If not you might want to reconsider. The Insight has a sensor exchange program, and they come pre calibrated.

Food for thought.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    CA service

Supposedly these new CAs are more field serviceable.  At least for sensor replacement and calibration.  I have heard that Bacharach's instrument service was quite slow at times too.  So far we haven't had to test that with our Fyrite Pro 125 though.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Had a Testo. Got a Wohler. Love it.

Just got a Wohler CA with digital manometer.  Wow.  Best one yet.  Pricey but worth it.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I 2nd the....

Wohler... Very nice unit.easy to use. Quick. lots of options. kpc
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    I run a gas Training Center

and have six testers all of which have been mentioned here in this posting. They are like any other test instrument only as good as it can do for the user.

The newer testers offer field replacement of sensors and calibration which can take care of down time situations. So all that is left is price, see what you get them to sell you one for.

I like Mark actually encourage companies to have two testers just in case.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    UEi combustion tester 155

has anyone tried this unit? 
  • targetman
    targetman Member Posts: 105
    UEI

UEI is low end stuff. You get what you pay for.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Looking at prices

It looks like the UEi cost more?
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Quick service

I have a Bacharach pro. When ever I have had a problem Norm at Bacharach got he parts and instructions in the mail the same day. It works great.
This discussion has been closed.