Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weird Dust or charcoal from bottom of Gas/Steam boiler

Options
Have a Weil Mcain Boiler and noticed some black Charcoal that seems to be comming from the bottom of the unit. When I look at the burners through the crack I see a lot of yellow flames running down the burners. I also see some fire going across the back of the unit horizontal across the burners near where I see the black charcoal.

Is that just burning the insulation? need to adjust the flame hight?

THanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,401
    Options
    Seems to me...

that at the very least you are overdue for a good cleaning and an adjustment of the burner by someone who really knows what they are doing, with the right tools and instruments.  Don't try to do it by eye.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • PROBABLY VERY DANGEROUS......

I WOULD SHUT DOWN THAT BOILER IMMEDIATELY AND HAVE A PROFESSIONAL CHECK IT.  It is very likely what you are seeing is carbon created by improper combustion.  Improper combustion produces high levels of Carbon Monoxide, an odorless gas that is considered the number one preventable cause of death in the United States.

YES, I AM TRYING TO SCARE YOU, BECAUSE THIS CONDITION COULD BE DEADLY!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,401
    Options
    Boilerpro

is right -- I was trying to be gentle about it...

Turn it off until you get it fixed right!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.