Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydronic airhandler

help! I have a customer with a gas water heater that supplies a hydronic air handler. the system has been in for years. I went there on a service call tonight because there was cold air blowing from the diffusers. supply pipe was hot, but return was coming back cold. I tried purging the loop, I replaced the zone valve, and the circulator pump. The return will come back hot if I disconnect the fan and just let the pump circulate. As soon as the fan comes on, the return pipe goes cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Water Heater

What type of water heater do they have and where are the hydronic lines connected to it?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • dmmechanical
    dmmechanical Member Posts: 3
    hydronic airhandler

it is a gas fired 40 gallon water heater and the hydronic lines are just piped in with tees off the domestic lines
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    DIP Tube

Probably a failed dip tube in the tank water heater. When the fan is off the water just circs through, but with fan on and tube failed cooler water returns to tank and right back out the hot. This continuous cycle with water short circulating on the top of tank will do this.

The return line should have been teed into bottom drain connection

Does the tank do the domestic also? Dangerous but oh so often done. If so the DHW would go cold fast also I'm sure.

Just a guess though but seen it happen.

Very inefficient system though
  • dmmechanical
    dmmechanical Member Posts: 3
    water heater

The water heater does do the DHW also. I will check tomorrow to see if the DHW runs out quickly. Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.