Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam distribution pipe layout

My home was recently renovated.  In order to accommodate a change in the first floor layout, the feeder pipe (riser?) to a second floor radiator was re-routed.  The feeder comes off the main line horizontally about 2 feet, runs vertically about 4" through an "s" shaped curve, runs 2 feet back toward and beyond the main supply, before running vertically to the second floor radiator.  The "s" shaped turn was installed to allow the pipe to clear two water supply lines to a nearby bathroom.  I've uploaded pictures of the "s" shaped pipe to give a better sense of the layout.

I'm wondering if there is anything inherently wrong with this "s" shaped curve in the feeder pipe.  It strikes me as rather inefficient.  We've noticed the radiator that it feeds is slow to heat up.  The primary cause, I believe, is a leak in one of the joints in the "s" shaped pipe which is allowing condensate (and presumably steam) to escape.  Before the HVAC contractor returns to re-sweat the pipe, I'm wondering if I need to have him redesign the transition from the main line to the vertical pipe (in other words, eliminate the "s" curve).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,487
    modified piping

It is very important that the pipe is sloped so any water can flow back to the boiler, if the pipe is not sloped correctly the radiator will be slow to heat and could start suffering from water hammer.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • snakey pipe

make sure that the pitch is as perfect as possible, and in the future, use iron pipe as it will have a longer life.

the leaking joints you now have are only the beginning of your problems with copper pipe, so make sure you have a warranty from the installer longer than a couple of years.

unfortunately, the temerature swings in a steam system make copper pipes very iffy because of the sweated joints, and there inability to "give" into torsional stress.--nbc
  • homeowner03
    homeowner03 Member Posts: 4
    distribution pipe continued

Unfortunately, the old work was copper so the installer had to work with what was existing.  He used steel for the new vertical line to the radiator, but had to transition back to the copper main.

Is it possible to maintain the right pitch with so many turns in the pipe?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,487
    edited December 2010
    Slope

Steam will flow almost anywhere it can but water can only drain back if the slope is correct. If that pipe is not sloped right it will just pool water and not work correctly. The S curve is not really a problem (it does mean the pipe is effectively lengthened but that is not usually critical) unless it causes pitch problems.

A way has to be found to correct a problem like that and it isn't going to be easy. Any chance you could move the radiator? Maybe you could raise the radiator to make it possible to get that supply pipe pitched correctly.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • homeowner03
    the right slope

Thanks for the feedback.  I took another look at the supply pipe coming off the main.  It definitely slopes towards the riser and away from the main.  The space is tight, but there should be room to adjust the pipe so that it pitches in the right direction.  The biggest challenge will be to convince the contractor that the pipe needs to be re-run; rather than simply repairing the leaky joint on a pipe pitched the wrong direction.

Thanks again.
  • homeowner03
    addendum

I just realized the pictures I posted are rotated 90 degrees.  If you rotate them clockwise 90 degrees you'll get a truer sense of which direction they run (still pitched toward the riser and away from the main), however.
  • Oak Park Electric
    Oak Park Electric Member Posts: 54
    Copper switchback

Without having done this myself, or being there to see it, I am going to say I think there has to be another way to do it.  It *looks* like that whole loop that comes toward the camera at the bottom and goes back at the top is really unnecessary.  It also seems to be pitched down at the u turn.  This will collect water and cause future problems.  The reason the radiator is not heating is not because of a leak, but it may be because the pipe is full of water.  I would definitely try to find a more direct route for this thing, and eliminate all that roundabout.  If you want a really good opinion, post some more pictures so we can get a better idea of what is off in the distance at the far end of the current views.  Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.