Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron rads and water temp

Options
Osborn
Osborn Member Posts: 31
I have a collection of large cast irons rads that i want to use in a

renovation.   At 160 I calculate that most of these largish rads will

give me too much heat for the spaces I want to put them.   I'll be heating the water with a Triangle Tube Solo 175.

?

I'm calculating that 160 water will give me 130 between per square foot

on my rads. (I know about the columns, sections, height stuff...)  Is

that a good assumption? 

?

Can I go down on my water temp to lower the btu output?  What would 150, 140, 130 give me?

The other option is to remove sections from the radiators.  I haven't looked into how to do that yet!

Thanks for any advice. 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Outdoor Reset

The TT has outdoor reset built into it. It will automatically adjust the boiler water temp based on outdoor temp. Oversizing of the rads is actually a good thing. It allows the reset curve to be adjusted even lower providing greater comfort and fuel savings.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Go all the way

Ironman is right on. Also you can use non electric TRV's on the rads, and ECM Delta P circ. for additional comfort, and savings.

Just a thought.

Gordy
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Just try and keep

The radiator size to room size proportionate. Otherwise it sounds like a great idea using the radiators. one question are they water style or steam? I know that is pretty basic but just wanted to confirm that.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Osborn
    Options
    rads

So if I install a rad that theoretically is going to give me 5000 btu per hour in a 3000 btu room, that's OK, as long as I do that proportionately throughout the apt?  How do I figure out then what's my design day temp for the boiler? 

No your question is not a silly one.  The guy I bought the boiler from shugged his shoulders and said i could use both rads set up for steam and rads set up for water.  I figured it isn't that simple and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Most of the rads are the tube or thin tube.  About 4 of these were being used for steam, but they have  valve or at least valve tap at the top.  Then I have about 4 that are the classic ornate column type - they do have in and out for water, but currently have steam valves now.  Not sure if I can tap the top of these or what. 

A little more background...  I have four railroad apt,  two zones per apt:  a front and a back, with each having a rad in the large center room.  I'm trying to decide also if I can give the tenants some kind of thermostatic control through a limited range thermostat, or just go with a 71 by day... 67 by night with TRV valves...  But then the tenant that wants to live at 67 by day is still opening the windows....

Thoughts?
  • Osborn
    Options
    circulator pump

I'm a novice homeowner trying to help out my plumber on this... What is the circulatory pump you refer to and how would it increase savings/comfort?  Thank you.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    be careful

I never use steam radiators for hot water. they faced a lot of corrosion in their llife that a water radiator does not see. Search the wall concerning converting radiators. There are conversion valves by hydronicalternatives.com that are used to connect radiators via one side to supply and return for hotwater. they have trvs in them also.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.