Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Bad Radiant

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
The owner of this townhome complained of noisy ticking sounds, uneven heat, not enough heat and very large gas bills.  As you can see, the staple-up does not use transfer plates, nor is there insulation under the application; 3/8" non barrier Pex in loops greater than 300ft.; the loops touch the wood holes in the framing, (yet the weave pattern between joists was done right). The tankless was set at 180 and struggling to keep up at temps below 40. The venting is under an eave...

The owner will speak with her attorney on Monday to determine the strategy for repair liability. 

Of course the townhome was marketed featuring "luxurious radiant heat". 

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Sad.

Unfortunately, we are all seeing too many of these botch jobs.
  • Paul Pollets
    Too Bad

It's something we see almost daily.  Poor design and installations are widespread and do reflect on the industry as a whole.  I wish folks would take the time to learn how to do it right. 

But then you'd have to read and take some courses....
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Bad Radiant:

This is why I don't even bother doing a work up on this stuff. To do it right, costs$$$. Someone will come along and quote a "Air Price". Something pulled out of the air.

I can tell you that it will cost a lot of money to fix it and I can't tell you how long it will take, And when done, it still may not be acceptable.

And you would never get away with venting that thing like that in Massachusetts. Here's the one thing about Massachusetts. The person who takes out the gas permit is legally responsible for the venting. YOU CAN NOT SUB IT OUT TO THE PLUMBER Unless that person is legally (by code) employed by you. Where I work, it is all LP if you want gas. The main LP supplier would not EVER, fill a tank when it is vented like this. It doesn't meet any code I was ever examined on.

Crap like this gives the whole profession a bad name.

And we don't need no damn code and inspections. Let the buyer beware.

Bull crap!!

Sorry for the rant. This affects all of us.

This belongs over at www.HVAC-talk.com on their "Wall Of Shame.
  • Another beauty I saw Paul,,,

I posted this awhile back,,, even Siggy asked for pics of this.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Circ?

Where is the circ? I can't see one in the pic.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paul Pollets
    Circ

the circ is within the Cosmogas/Axia unit.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Radiants:

Bob,

It's a gravity job. Couldn't you tell?
This discussion has been closed.