Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Mills Boiler

ajeddie
ajeddie Member Posts: 1
I am looking at aMills series 34 1074 9 section hot water boiler, how many BTU's is this rated for ?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Mills Boiler:

I don't know but if it is a "Mills" only, it is big commercial and not listed anymore. One needs more information.

Where is it?

What is it firing with? Gas or oil?

Steam or hot water?

Doesn't it have a name plte on it somewhere? If it is a big commercial boiler, it must have a ASME plate on it to be legal and insurable.

More info needed.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,186
    Contact Smith after the holidays they

may still have archives. As said there need to be a rating plate. Why do you need to know the rating on this boiler? I saw you are running it as a hot water unit. If that is the case you would need a heat loss if you are thinking of replacing it. If you are choosing a burn rate for the oil a heat loss would be helpful too.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Mills series 34

Found an old datasheet on the Mills 34-9 (hand fired) and 340-9 (automatic fired}

Steam net rating     3200 Sq/ft

Steam gross rating  4475 Sq/ft

Water net rating       5120 Sq/ft

Water gross rating   7160 Sq/ft

Heating surface   247.5 Sq/ft

Oil firing rate      9.57 Gal/hr

So if you multiply 140,000 btu/ gal of oil x 9.57 you get a max input of 1.4 million BTU.

Or, take 4475 Sq/ft steam gross x 240 BTU/Sq ft you get 1.074 Million BTU gross output.

Probably not exact, but at least should get you into the ballpark.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!