Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two-pipe system without traps - two cold radiators

Options
drtom
drtom Member Posts: 31
I recently bought a home (1st time).  It was built in 1880, and has a two pipe steam system.  The set up is that the pipes coming into the radiators comes in  at floor height, and the pipe going out on the other end also is at the floor height.  Finally, on the exit side, each radiator has a vent near the top of the radiator.  The radiators are column type and there are no signs of traps anywhere in the system.  One exception, there is a smaller radiator that someone added in the downstairs bathroom which is clearly an addition.  It is a one-pipe radiator with a vent.

Overall, the house seems to work very well, no clanging, the rooms heat to a nice temperature overall, except for the downstairs bathroom radiator which doesn't get warm at all, and the front parlor radiator which barely gets warm at the front of the radiator.  I figured that they may just need new vents, but because this system is unlike either types descried in Dan's book, I thought I would ask here before doing anything.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.