Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

barometric damper

paul_79
paul_79 Member Posts: 91
tim could you give me a reason for or against a barometric damper on a rite boiler with a webster power burner.  My understanding is the damper keeps the flue(  inche of W.C. )from getting to much draft by opening at what ever it is set at .   The boilers have been in use for more than 20 years  with out  any dampers and don't see m to have any issues.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I would have to check the

specs on that particular application.

Let me say however there are some commercial applications which do not require a draft hood or barometric by design.

The barometric is able to automatically compensate for excess draft or deficiencies in draft to give a balanaced draft for poper operation. Some commercial boilers devlop a good draft and sustain it without any help.
  • paul_79
    paul_79 Member Posts: 91
    thanks

thanks for the info. 

I'll have to check on the the manufactures specs.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    barometrics

Let me make a little addition to Tim's comments.  A law of physics states that for every action, there is any opposite and equal reaction.  The amount of draft in a flue has a direct influence on how much air a burner delivers in the combustion chamber, whether it is a power burner or an atmospheric burner.  As the draft changes, so does the fuel/air mixture. A barometric automatically adjusts for changes in the draft so that the outlet draft of an appliance never changes.  This means we have controlled and stable combustion.  Any appliance that is connected to a flue that has negative draft and does not have a barometric, has an unpredictable air to fuel ratio.
  • Understood Jim,,,

and I totally agree. That is the best explanation I have seen yet!

Unfortunately I have seen many oil-fired F/A units with no barometric &  combustion-air supplied to the (enclosed)furnace room,, nowadays when everyone is "tightening-up" the house envelope, I try to explain that these will be needed,,,,, if they disagree I "walk" :-)
This discussion has been closed.