Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smelly Radiator

Options
HC
HC Member Posts: 3
Had a an old hot water radiator installed in my one pipe seam system. 

Whenever the heat goes on a strong oily smell emanates from the radiator.  The professional who installed it said that the smell would go away once things within the radiator "burned off." 

The radiator has been in operation for over a month and the smell is just as bad.  Should I have any faith that this smell will go away or should I just replace the radiator?

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    hot water never....

saw the high temps of steam. I think eventually it will subside.is the outside recently painted? make sure it's clean on the outside.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,384
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Single pipe steam?

If so, then it is possible for smells from inside the radiator to get outside -- through the vent.  It may take a while for that to go away.  Couldn't say how long.  Take a discreet whiff at the vent, if there is one, to see if that's the problem.  If it is, and it's really objectionable, it might be possible to take the radiator somewhere and get it flushed out thoroughly.

If the sniff the vent test proves negative, the smell is on the outside -- as jpf noted, it will probably go away.  Eventually.  You can hasten the departure, though, by thoroughly cleaning the outside.  Don't wimp out on something green; TSP, Boraxo, something like that -- and really scrub.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    pull the vent off...

then squirt in some lemon juice. it will "clean" it and smell a bit better. kpc
  • Sil
    Sil Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Lemon Juice... really?

Ya know, since I had may rads redone they are offgassing (I did not powder coat... dumb me).  The offgassing is becoming less and less of an issue now... Word to anyone reconditioning radiators - do it w PowderCoat!

That said, I also have an odd smell coming from the vent.  I am not sure if its whatever chemical was used to strip the rads or if it was the Hecules Scout I put in the boiler when I was trying to stop the surging (as I dont recall the odor before then).

I have flushed out all the water since then... replaced the returns... and no longer have a surging problem... but I still have a smell.

It only bothers me in my bedroom in the AM.  Should I squirt in some lemon juice into that rad's vent port?  Does that really work and not do any harm?
  • Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Paint

I've gone through this several times.  If it was repainted, it's probably the paint.  My experience is that if you use really high temp barbecue grill type of paint, it will stink for a couple of weeks.  If you used an engine enamel or regular enamel, be prepared to smell it for a month or two . . . or three, depending on how sensitive your smeller is.  You could turn the heat way up, like to 85 degrees and let it cook all day and vent the room and get the worst of it over . . . or just wait and let it fade away on its own.  It will go away eventually.
  • HC
    HC Member Posts: 3
    Options
    re: Smelly Radiator

Thanks.  It was not recently painted and the outside seems quite clean.

Smell is definitely coming, at least in part, from the vent. I will give the outside a good cleaning though and see if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.