Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

monoflow question

Options
jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
i work with the so called best when it comes to heating,,however after reading dans books i have learned a lot of the things i have been taughT are wrong,bull head tees on steam,cut in 3 cut out 5 etc.i have a question regarding monoflow tees,first of all are diverter tees the same as a monoflow tee.the tee we use has a diverter in it which looks like it should direct water into the radiator.dan however says they should go on the return side.i would really appreciate some help.thanks in advance

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Monoflow/Diverter Tees:

Most monoflow tees available today have a nozzle/orifice inside. They also usually have a groove around the side of the tee, on one side of the branch outlet. They may have arrows incised on the side. The arrows always point to the direction of the flow when used on the inlet or outlet. If you use two monoflows, the grooves face each other. If you use one, it is usually put on the return side of the loop. If you put it on the supply side, the restriction causes a portion of the water to take the path of least resistance. On the return, the venturi causes a vacuum and "pulls" the water through the emitter loop.

Hope that is clear. Not having one in hand, I'm going from memory.

I use them often when I am looping fin tube baseboard and need to put a toe kick heater in the loop. If you use a monoflow tee setup, there isn't a reduction in flow and pressure through the coil. I've seen coils hooked up direct. It really screws up a good loop.
  • jonny88
    Options
    thanks for your help iceman

thanks for your help.my first time here.i work with two licensed plumbers in nyc and they swear that the monoflow tee goes on the feed then we put a regular tee about 4 inches after it,i am really starting to question their knowledge,hard to teach an old dog new tricks,thanks again
  • jonny88
    Options
    thanks for your help iceman

thanks for your help.my first time here.i work with two licensed plumbers in nyc and they swear that the monoflow tee goes on the feed then we put a regular tee about 4 inches after it,i am really starting to question their knowledge,hard to teach an old dog new tricks,thanks again
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Mono flow tees...

Work somewhat better on the return side. The distance between the tees should be greater than the width of the radiator. 4 inches of separation would only work on a 4inch rad. Never seen one.

Are they confusing these with primary/secondary tees that must be closely spaced?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • jonny88
    Options
    mono flow tees

nothing to do with primary/secondary piping,their notion is you have a loop,as water comes to the first rad,it will go through the monoflow tee,the scoop in the tee will lift water up into the rad,and come out the regular tee and continue on the loop.it seems to work but i dont know how well it works,we always have problems bleeding rads
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    ahh

You have to watch the mono T mfr. If it's a venturi with the cone inside, it goes on the return, cone going with flow. If the rad is lower than the main, you have to use mono T's on both S/R.

If it's an Asian cast scoop type T, it's gotta go on the supply with the scoop curving up into the branch. In a less than stellar moment some years ago, I tried to defy physics, being so used to the tried and true B+G monoflo's. 
  • jonny88
    Options
    that clears it up

the tee we use is the one with the scoop,thankyou for clearing that up for me mr.bona.in dans book he says on diverter tee systems the diverter tee goes on the return.that really threw me for a loop.in the future i will look out for the conical tee.unfortunatly our supply house has recently gotten real chep with the quality of there material.its hard to by american fittings and compete with the people using chinese materials,anyway thats another story,thanks again for your time
This discussion has been closed.