Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pump upgrades

My current situation involves  one UPS 26-99 FC pump running on low speed circulating water in 200 feet of  one inch pex. This pump runs 24/7 365 days a year as it also contributes to my domestic hot water.

My second pump is a UP 15-42 F pump circulating water in 5 legs totalling 700 feet of half inch pex on demand from a thermostat.

The third pump is a UP 15-42 F for the basement floor but is seldom used, not at all last winter, as the heat in the house is adequate without this pump.

I live off grid and power consumption is an issue. Because the Alpha pump offers Autoadapt and lower power consumption than either of the two pumps above I would like to switch out these pumps for the Alpha model. Over time the power savings would be significant.

Will the Alpha pump be a reasonable substitute for the two pump models above?

Would I be sacrificing critical circulating potential from either of the current pumps by switching to the Alpha?

If my third pump was functioning could it negatively affect the Alpha that replaces the UPS 26-99 FC?

Although power consumption is important to me it is also important that my heating system continues to function.

My biggest concern would be when the main Alpha pump has to supply water to the second pump and possibly the third pump.

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    The Alpha Pump

The Alpha pump's curve is no where near the equivalent of the UPS26-99. You should not use it to replace a 26-99 unless the 26-99 was much too large for the application to start with.

All the particulars of the system must be known before determining the size of the circulator (btus required, gpm, dynamic head, piping arrangement, application,etc.). The fact that the 26-99 is hooked to 200' of 1" piping would suggest that it's designed to be moving at least 8-10 gpm at 10-12 ft. of head minimum. That's above the maximum of the alpha on high speed.

The Alpha is almost the equivalent of a UPS15-58 and would be fine for replacing the UP15-42.

The Grundfos south eastern territory manager told me two days ago that they are testing a smart pump that would be the equivalent of the 26-99 and it should become available in the near future.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Singlemalt
    Singlemalt Member Posts: 3
    Alpha Pump

Thanks for the response and the information.

This confirms my concerns and has saved me a lot of problems.

That is encouraging news concerning the smart pump replacement and I will be watching for the release. 
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    You say you live off-grid...

Are you powered off of an inverter? If so, have you looked into any of the DC circulators out there? Yes, the Alphas are very nice if your power source is AC, but something that doesn't have to run off of the inverter (and take the associated efficiency hit) only to go through a rectifier (and again take an efficiency hit) might have greater total efficiency. Laing has a bunch of DC models. I'm pretty sure that they have something that would be a close match for your 15-42s, not sure about the 26-99.
This discussion has been closed.