Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating With Domestic Hot Water

cgw
cgw Member Posts: 42
Is there a unit heater that can be used to heat using domestic hot water, Does the coil need to comply with ANSI/NSF61?

It would be to heat an apartment building stairway. The building does not have a heating hot water system but it does have a central domstic hot water system.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    You would need to check local codes

If it were my job I would not do what you are attempting due to possible bacterial contamination of the domestic hot water system. What does the building use for heating currently?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    X-Pump Block?

What about using a Taco X-Pump Block?  Its made for this type of application, I have no idea what may be needed in your exact application....just an idea.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    OT, Eric

Just read the article about you in the PHC news. Congrats.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • cgw
    cgw Member Posts: 42
    OK, thinking out load:

The Taco X-pump is not ANSI/NSF 61 any more than a unit heater coil. Maybe less so. A unit heater coil is copper piping (like the distrubution piping) with a bunch of turns.

I need to look into ANSI/NSF 61.

It will be bad enough heating with 115ish deg water much less running that water through a heat exchanger (for which I don't see any inofrmation).
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Thanks!

Thanks!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.