Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO and water feed not working

Options
ansky
ansky Member Posts: 41
My boiler has a LWCO unit with automatic water feeder.  It was working fine last winter, but now it has stopped working for some reason.  To test it out I fired up the boiler and then slowly drained the water from it, and the LWCO unit never cut off the burner and the "Low water" light did not come on.  I also tried the "manual feed" button which I used to use to add water to the boiler and that is not working either.  I checked all the connections and I don't see any wires that appear to have come loose.  It almost seems as though no power is getting to the unit.  Any suggestions on what else to look for?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Call a Pro

Hi- This is a safety issue and is best left to a pro to check out and trouble shoot.

If there is no power to the LWCO, the burner shouldn't start.

- Rod
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    What type

of LWCO is this?  Many -- or most -- have a float in them which is supposed to drop as the water level drops.  If that is stuck, the LWCO won't operate.  They need to be blown down regularly to avoid having gunk get in there and hanging to float up.  Have you tried blowing the LWCO itself down?  What happens?

I might point out that unless someone has messed with the wiring, the fact that the burner runs indicates that the LWCO switch is staying closed -- or there is a short in the unit.

It is a safety factor, particularly if you have only the one.  Get it fixed, pronto.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.