Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

alpine venting to different sides of house

lolo21
lolo21 Member Posts: 16
Alpine manual recomends installing the exhaust flue and make up air to same side of building to avoid sudden shut downs.

I have an old chimney on east side where i can exhaust to easily and get make up air from south wall.

I have 2 feet thick stone walls to cut through otherwise.

chimney would be used only by boiler and is tall 40'+

i can not even grasp why venting to different walls could be problem. any help apreciated.

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    It's a problem because pressure differential can exist

between two points at different elevations, or on different sides of the house, depending on how the wind blows etc. This pressure differential could be positive or negative, and could interfere with the forced draft. When you say "make up air", what do you mean? Are you piping in supply air from outside directly to the boiler?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I Hope You're Not...

Thinking of venting that boiler directly into the chimney. You can use the chimney for a chase if there's no other appliance on it. You can also go straight through the back side of the chimney, but the entire vent pipe must be pvc all the way to the exterior of the house.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions. We don't want to read about you on the Co2 section of the wall.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.