Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Alpine & Taco SR504 Issue

GWE
GWE Member Posts: 3
Installing a new Alpine unit with the Taco SR504 zone controller with DHW running off the boiler, and the SR504 controlling the 4 house zones.

The SR504 shows various wiring schematics, and all involve leaving or moving the jumper between the end switch and ZC/ZR connections.  The Burnham documentation makes no mention of this jumper.  Also the TB1 connections don't match the documentation.  I've attached a copy of the page in question.   The connections on TB1 although they don't match don't appear to be an issue.  What is at issue is that jumper.  Should it stay, move or go? 

Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    edited October 2010
    Just Installed One Today

I use the Taco control quite often and hooked one up with an ECR mod/con today.

According to your diagram, the jumper should be removed. When the jumper is placed between ZC and ZR, the pump relays contacts are fed from the 120v terminals on the SR504. When the jumper is removed and ZC is fed from the boilers terminal strip, as in your diagram, the boiler feeds the ZC terminal and thus the SR504's relay contacts.

The purpose for this is to break power to the zone circs. during a domestic call to give domestic priority. The boiler de-energizes the "system circ" terminal during a domestic call.

I would need to see a piping diagram of how you piped the boiler, zones and pumps to confirm that this is the correct diagram to match your piping.

One other note of caution on the 120v power teminals on the SR504. The L and N terminals are reversed from what the Burnham drawing shows. The pump power terminals run L N from left to right but the 120v feed terminals run N L from left to right. Be careful or else you'll have a dead short.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GWE
    Here is the setup

I've attached a copy of the piping diagram which matches what I have, other than there are four zones, not two.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Looks Like...

It should work fine. Just leave the jumper out and watch out on the L & N power terminals as I mentioned before.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GWE
    Thanks!

I thought that leaving the jumper would end up mixing the 24 & 120 v circuits together, and that didn't seem right.

Thanks for your help on that!
This discussion has been closed.