Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pump selection

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
When looking to chose a pump for a Superstore Indirect along w/a T-80 Munchkin, HTP recommends using a Taco 009, or a Grundfos UPS-15-58F (on the 3rd speed), Does anyone see a problem of using a Taco OOR-3-IFC-3speed instead of the 009? The OOR- appears to be  direct replacement for the Grundfos UPS-15-58f. I reached out to HTP tech dept and they mentioned that a 009 would be recommended when piping the system using their Vision drawings (which is the way the system will be piped) , and the 00R would be ok  for conventional piping methods, It seems that if the Grundfos 3 speed is ok than why not use a Taco 00R-3 speed? Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    The 00R is...

A direct replacement for the UPS15-58 and the performance curves are almost the same. The 009 is a "high head" pump and is not the equivalent of the 15-58.

I don't know what the "vision drawings" are, but I suspect they design a piping arrangement that produces a higher head than conventional piping and that is why the 009 is specified.

You had better stick with what the manufacturer calls for. They usually have done extensive testing and know what works best.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Pump

Thanks Ironman, the Vision drawings are for the pump to circulate through both the heater and the boiler, so the pressure drop is increased, what I dont get is that it is recommended to use Taco 007 for the boiler circ and a 009 for the heater's circ. And if you dont wish to use Taco's circs you can use the Grundfos pumps, the UPS for the boiler circ (on speed 2) and for the Indirect's circ use the UPS (on speed 3) And you can pick from another brand of pump as well, just wondering why a 00-R is not listed insted of the 009?
This discussion has been closed.