Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing gas gun

Options
humhead
humhead Member Posts: 22
In my Weil-McClain model A-B-466E. Gross output - 138,000 BTU.  I get my DHW from the boiler.  Can I still do this after I install the gas gun?  I am concerned about not being able to make enough hot water.  I am having the gas gun professionally installed.  The heating contractor suggested a NG direct fired water heater.  He was not pushing a hard sell, just laying out options. I want to know my options.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You will not see

any difference in your DHW tankless ability to provide hot water. If however you want to get rid of the tankless I would recommend an indirect not a storage type gas fired water heater. You will be surprised at how much more hot water you can get and not have a gallon per minute restriction like you have with a tankless.

The indirect can be installed off the steam boiler condensing side using a circulator. Just make sure your contractor is familiar with how to do that.

Which power gas burner are you going to install?
  • humhead
    Options
    Gas gun

The contractors supply house sells Wayne.  Would you recommend another kind?  What he liked about the Wayne is that it does not have a standing pilot light.  I have thought about an indirect tank, but wondered about a separate water heater so I can shut down my boiler over the summer months.  I thought this might extend the life of the boiler.   I have looked at gas tankless heaters as an option.  The government is giving a lot of money for gas tankless heaters, 30% plus $300 from the state. I really just want my system to be as efficient and reliable as can be. 

Thanks

Emile
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Not a good idea to shut down

your boiler. It will actually last longer and need less maintenance if it is kept running.

I recommend for a power gas burner either the Carlin EZ Gas or the Midco EC 200 series both are direct spark ignition and are much better burners than Wayne. You can also get Carlin to set up the burner in advance and then ship it to you.

With the tankless heaters you will typically be firing on the high end as much as 225,000 BTU's and you are pretty restricted as to GPM around 2.5 to maybe 4 if you are lucky. That is not much more than your tankless on your boiler.
  • humhead
    Options
    carin gas gun

set up.  What  type of set up does Carin do to the gas gun?  Do they tune it to my particular boiler?  What kind of problems can arise from an improperly installed gas gun.  I am not installing it,  i just want to know what to look out for. On a side note what is your opinion on utica PEG-C Series steam Boiler.  It was another option that was given to me.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    If your installer

gets in touch with Carlin in New Hampshire and gives them the make and model number along with input of the boiler they will preset the burner and then only minor adjustments have to be made after it is installed. Make sure a combustion analysis is done also no matter what burner goes in.

I do not typically give my opinion on boilers or furnaces as we try to encourage all boiler and furnace manufacturers here on the site and do not want to be critical or give a mis leading recommendation. Most all boilers are fairly the same. The big thing is the installer to make sure they know what they are doing.

An improperly installed power gas burner if not sized and correctly orificed and tested can typically not give you enough heat, or if over fired can soot up and make Carbon Monoxide. if not cleaned before installation and make sure the chimney is in good condition and lined can also cause problems. A new flue pipe from the boiler to the chimney or vent should be run and a double swing barometric with a blocked vent switch should be installed.
  • humhead
    Options
    I have found

a contractor who is a licensed, and has done many gas conversion.  Thank you for your insights. it has helped me ask the right questions.  One thing I have noticed is that all the estimates are for Atmospheric steam boilers.  In reading the many post on this very helpful site, the Pros like to install wet boilers with power gas buners.  What are the advantages of wet boiler over atmospheric?  I mentioned the Smith g8 set up to one contractor and he would not believe me, until i showed him the spec sheet that I had downloaded. 
This discussion has been closed.