Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The new PHC News

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
Have you seen the new look of PHC News. Just got my copy today and I like it. It's a lot easier to read.

What do you think?  
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Yes I like the

layout and especially the column set up.

I was surprised at your article concerning the future of hydronics sure doesn't sound to good for the residential gas boiler market or all the wetheads who install them. Do you feel that when the mandate for 90 plus only comes from DOE that it will simply push folks toward all the modulating/condensing furnaces and not boilers?

What do you think will happen to residential oil?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Looking at the numbers in the article, Tim,

which others can find here: http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/231/PHC-News-articles/1841/Whats-the-future-of-hydronics, I don't think there will be a rush toward the new boilers. I expect to see more high-efficiency furnaces and certainly more heat pumps.

As for residential oil, given the choice, I'm seeing consumers choose gas. There will be a residential oil market in areas where there is no gas available, but big companies will serve those customers.

The future of hydronics is commercial.
    Retired and loving it.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    PHC News

Got my new issue today as well, looks good, I stoped by your shop on Monday to pick up a book and a t-shirt Dan, nice place, my 2 1/2 year old son loved it as well I could barely get him off your couch, Deb was very helpful.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    I like new layout a lot!

Much easier reading,the good news is people who have boilers usually replace them with new boilers. As far as growing the wet heat market, I agree with Dan,if it hasn't happened yet,it won't! One of the very good things about living on the Isle of Long,besides the pizza and bagels is that it's boiler country! Very little warm air and if just 3-5 % of boilers are replaced annually here,that adds up to a very serious number!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    edited October 2010
    interesting article

I actually think the future of hydronics will grow with the growing future of the electrical grid.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Article

I agree with the article....residential hydronic growth wil be static and commercial will grow. You nailed it with the reasoning for A/C requirements. With the tax credits for boilers and furnaces expiring on 12/31 of this year, I wonder if it will be renewed? If not, the growth will be even more stagnant when any incentives are removed from the marketplace.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,824
    Our friend in hydronics, John Abularrage

make a debut. I like his no BS opinion on controls and hydronics in general. What a great sense of humor he has. He enjoys his trade and it comes across in his writing style. I hope to learn more from him in coming issues.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • John_209
    John_209 Member Posts: 1
    Commitment to the Industry

We really appreciate the comments! The redesigned look is tailored to our readers; we really hope you enjoy the new format. We welcome any comments or suggestions.

John Mesenbrink

Chief Editor
This discussion has been closed.