Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner not lighting

Options
cyberdude
cyberdude Member Posts: 2
Hi. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a RGDA-125A-GR gas furnace. The thermostat calls for heat, but the burner will not light. I've checked the reset-able safety switch and the heat sensor. They are both good. Voltage seems to be making it to the (I guess it's the gas flow switch). The pilot light is on. The furnace was working fine and then just quit one day. Would the most likely problem be the "gas flow switch" where the gas is fed to the burner? Would replacing that be a likely solution? Does anyone even make those anymore? Do you think a layman could replace such a thing as long as I made sure to turn the gas off first? The gas shut off valve is right next to the unit. Thanks again!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    What is the Make of the

furnace? Does it have a thermocouple?

From the picture you posted it is hard to tell if it is a thermocouple operated gas valve. Do you have a multi-meter? If so with the thermostat calling do you have 24 volts to the gas valve? If so and the valve will not open and the gas is on to the valve the valve is bad and needs replaced. It could also be that the ground leg from the valve is broken. It is time to call a professional who will properly troubleshoot and replace what ever needs repaired or replaced.
  • cyberdude
    cyberdude Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help. It has a thermocouple and 24 volts is getting to the valve. I'll get a professional to have a look and probably replace the valve. Thanks again!

Curtis
This discussion has been closed.