Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choosing System 2000 or Brodurus?

04090 Member Posts: 142
Have an old New England house and need to replace the ailing hot water heating system.  The Energy Kinetics EK-1 System 2000 is being pushed by the oil company and I like it as well.   Alternate they recommend is the Broderus.   

The 2000 is an intriguing system.  I see online that many think it's great, some complain about defective control boards but that seems limited to the older models and some complain about crud developing in the innards but I assume that's a normal maintence issue. 

Have seen online posts that think it'll last 20 years opposed to Brodurus life span of 40.  Any merit?  And should I be concerned about the limited availability of boiler and control parts?  There's a whopping two dealers in this area able to order the system and provide service, which is not assuring if one or both drop the line or the company goes under.  Burner parts seem typical and off the shelf.

Which brand would be a better choice for long term reliability?

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Buderus

I'd use the Buderus with an indirect tank for DHW and The Logomatic 2107 control. The Riello burner is slightly more efficient than the Beckett package.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Not really!

The Beckett NX gives superior  results in the Buderus G115 by far! Not bashing Riello and they work fine in most boilers but in the 115,the NX gives better results and is noticeably quieter to boot!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    system 2000

Gotta disagree on the 20 year life expectancy thingy. We have been maintaining one that was installed 1979, and many other early ones we installed early 80's that are still going strong.  Like anything else, neglect it and it will live a short life. Either choice you make, will be good equipment, just make sure the installer is the going to be the service person as well. That can make a difference
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    edited October 2010
    One More Option...

Would be the Buderus G125BE or GB125BE. Both are over 90% efficient and qualify for a $1500.00 federal tax credit. These boilers have a specially designed burner that actually burns with a blue flame. The dealer has to be trained and certified by Buderus to sell and install these. He also is required to have the proprietary parts in stock. Check Buderus' web site under dealer listing to find a certified dealer(s) in your area.

www.Buderus.us
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    The

G125's are nice units. I've got a couple coming up on their one year anniversary; going to service one Friday, actually.

I'll try to remember to get pics of the innards and post them.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,868
    Are they good installers?

HO here. It is often said here that it matters less the particular boiler than which boiler the installer is more familiar with or, more importantly whether they do good installs in the first place. Were I in your shoes I'd want to see photos of some of their recent installs of both boilers. I would treat the oil co like any other contractor, and you could post some of their photos here on the wall and see what feedback you get from the pros.

It is possible that sometimes installs by oil companies are less expensive than from those by other contractors, but I'd always pay more for a proper install and proper subsequent maintenance; it may cost less in the long run.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Experience

If the contractor can't show you pictures of recent work, or a website with pics...be very careful. There are many "wannabees" in the trade who may not have the experience to do the work, or have extensive knowledge and experience in oil fired appliances.
    Original poster following up

The installation will be by a professional contractor who's been around many years and has an excellent reputation.  That's a given. 

But the decision between the systems is mine to make.  Am still torn between deciding between the System 2000 EK1 or a Buderus G115WS, both with a Beckett burner.  The EK1 is slightly more expensive, but that's not significant if the cost is spread out over a number of years.

Which would I be better off with 10 years down the road?
  • jjser
    jjser Member Posts: 4
    Save oil

While both boilers are very good, the EK1 will save you a lot of oil going forward. Over it's lifetime, a lot more than the $1500 tax credit for other boilers.
    edited November 2010
    Please clarify

Are you saying that the EK1 will use significantly less fuel over the years than a Buderus 115, or than the existing system?

Added:

Fuel savings is important, but our place isn't that thirsty to start with and uses 500 gallons annually in a clunky old system.
    Moving forward!

OK, when all's said and done the Brodurus G115WS-3 wins. Close choice, each system had great advantages but dealer support prevailed.

Last hurdle is the flue. It's a center of the house unlined (all brick, no clay) chimney with a cap in typical condition for an old house. Am told by our long time established oil company contractor we can get by without a liner, and the competitor who doesn't sell oil says we'd need it. The manufacturer in NH said it's suggested but not required.

It's expensive to have one put in - two companies quoted about $2,800 - and I'd be content without doing it. Our oil company has been around a long time and has served us well. Is that a wise decision?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I would not....

risk it. I a liner is HIGHLY advised. The lower stack temps will probably have the flue condensing at times. I have a a 115-21 and run the boiler off a tekmar 260.  I am about 30 min from you in Dover. I lined my chimney soon after i installed it. Merrie sweep in Ports. did a fine job. kpc
This discussion has been closed.