Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powerpile pilot

JM_2
JM_2 Member Posts: 108
Hello,

I have an apartment in Providence RI that has a smalish Burnham boiler and base board heat. The unit has been empty for 2 months. The gas bill last month ( Sept thermostat turned off) was based on 24.6 Therms.

The only things running are the stand alone 40Gal hot water heater and the power-pile pilot light on the boiler. Does 24.6 therms for a water heater and power-pile boiler in an empty apartment sound right?

Thanks.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    The pilot will burn about

1,000 BTU's per hour times 24 that is 24,000 per day times 30 is 720,000 per month which is 7.2 therms. Is the water heater cycling on and off or is it shut off.

If it is on and the pilot is lit that pilot burns a little less than the powerpile pilot so say half of that would be 3.5 therms for a total of 10.2 with just the pilots. That is not counting the possibility of the water heater cycling on and off a couple of times a day.
  • JM_2
    I will turn both

Units, water heater and boiler to pilot only and see what happens.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    The gas bill last month

I am not a professional, so I cannot say if your gas usage is reasonable or not. But it is more than mine by a factor of about 5 or 6. That seems a lot to me. Of course, our systems are different. I always thought the gas used by a pilot light was very small, but I have been wrong before.

I have a mod|con boiler that has spark ignition (no pilot) and it is used to run a 36 gallon indirect fired hot water heater. It runs cold-start. In September, the boiler made no attempt to heat the house, and I used 4.17 therms to heat my hot water for the month. In August, I used 5.21 therms. In July, I used 4.16 therms. I probably use less hot water than most people. I am in New Jersey.
  • Tim McElwain
    Depending on the cost per therm in

different areas pilots can run about $120 to $150 per year to operate if they are on 24/7.
  • JM_2
    edited November 2010
    After one month

With the units switched to pilot only, 24/7 ( Powerpile Boiler & Standard 40Gal water heater)

My one month usage of gas was 20.5 Therms. Does this seem high?

Thanks

John Mahoney
  • Tim McElwain
    edited November 2010
    Yes it is a little high

however some powerpile pilots have a larger orifice so it may be okay. Are you sure there is not a gas range somewhere on the line with top burner pilots and perhaps an oven pilot also burning 24/7.

Is this an older house with maybe an old gas light going in the attic. I have found this several times in the older sections of Providence.

Last of all shut off all the pilots and have a tight test done on the gas lines to make sure there is not a gas leak (very small) but leaking just the same.

After all of that if nothing is wrong it is what it is.
  • JM_2
    will shut down both pilots

and see what happens next. No gas lights, and range uses spark. Thanks for your input.
This discussion has been closed.