Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Anyone Know What This Valve Is?

Dan24 Member Posts: 1

I recently tapped into my supply and return pipes for the installation of a infloor radiant system.  I currently have cast iron radiators (hot water) supplied by a Burnham Oil fired burner.  After tapping into the pipes a valve ontop of my supply pipe started leaking.  It looks very correded and I think the flanges will need to be replaced.  I have searched part numbers and come up with nothing.  On one side of the valve it says "Trane Flo-Valve" and on the other side there is a selector switch that says "normal" and "open" it is currently set to normal.  The part number on the main valve is 1131 and the flanges are 1118 and 1116.  Does anyone know what this is or where to get one?  Thank you in advance for your help.


  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,398
    Re: what valve is that

    That is a gravity flow control valve to keep hot water from gravitating up main heat pipe when pump not on.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 594

  • savion
    savion Member Posts: 3
    flo valve

    i have the same problem where can i purchase a new gravity flow valve HELP!

  • savion
    savion Member Posts: 3
    flo valve

    i have the same problem where can i purchase a new gravity flow valve HELP!

  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,315
    The wire?

    There's no wire coming out of an optical confusion....looks like its going into the junction box on the wall.

    For that flow control valve, you're better off bringing in a pro.  That's not a trip to home depot.  You're going to have to get that from a large plumbing supply house.  You're going to have to drain part or all of the system, and we all know what can, and usually happens next.  All those valves you open and shut to drain/fill start leaking, need to be fixed/replaced, etc.  So get someone who's going to have all the parts to get it down in a few hours.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,514
    The good stuff

     Yup Flo control valve.  Open position allows gravity to commence if there is a power outage. Provided of course your boiler does not require power. I would not throw the baby out with the bath water. Gaskets, and pipe dope may save the day. Clean up on the flanges for sure.

This discussion has been closed.