Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos encapsulation vs removal

Mel_2
Mel_2 Member Posts: 12
We are having an oil burner removed that is known to contain asbestos. Two abatement companies gave estimates. One indicated that he would need to remove the burner, and then dispose of the asbestos. The other company said that he would paint over the asbestos. However, as the burner is going to be removed, does it make sense for someone to just paint over the asbestos? I would have expected him to actually remove it or remove the burner. Won't the asbestos still get into the air when the burner is removed, regardless of whether he has painted over it or not. I thought this was just a temporary fix used when you are not going to disturb the asbestos? Is this a typical method employed in a situation like this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,090
    In my book...

painting over the asbestos is neither encapsulation nor abatement.  Encapsulation, to my mind, implies some kind of solid, if not rigid (and usually is, more or less), cover.  Paint is not satisfactory.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mel_2
    Mel_2 Member Posts: 12
    Painting over with sealant

He would be painting over with a sealant. Another abatement company used the same method when dealing with a few of our basement pipes in the past. My problem with this method in this case is that we are planning to remove the boiler, so whereas it seemed like an appropriate solution for something that is staying put, not for something that is about to be taken apart.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited September 2010
    what is the

extent of the asbestos?

The abatement co I use will remove the jacket/outer vessel asbestos, leaving the boiler block bare. They will remove the smokepipe and take out the thimble seal, and the collar at the boiler where there usually is asbestos rope. They remove any doors on the boiler as the refractory is usually asbestos. Removing the burner is beyond their scope- and we know there is typically some rope at the burner opening. We also know there will be presence of asbestos in the firebox/section seals, so if dismantling the boiler is a must, we practice in-house containment and removal if it amounts to under 3 square feet of substance. We have HAZMAT certification.

They will strip back pipes as far as I dictate. They apply sealant to the fittings and pipe where bare. I strongly urge the client to consider abating the rest of the basement proper while the area is already bagged off and decon showers are already set up. Someday, a pipe may leak, or someone will damage the remaining asbestos, and then you will have contamination issues.

I am very reluctant to take on jobs where protocol hasn't been followed or flat out refused to do the job where some cowboy decides he's going to save $ by "taking the stuff off hisself", and have intiated stop work orders on jobs gone awry. Be sure the abatement co has an independent outfit perform a forced blower air test post abatement- ask for the results- and that the State has been notified (if applicable in your area).  

IMO, "encapsulation" in whatever form, is akin to foam filling abandoned underground oil tanks. Don't like it at all, nor does the prospective future home buyer. Puts a stigma and uncertainty on the property.

Hope this helps. Your region's procedures may vary. 
This discussion has been closed.