Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pigtail orientation?

Options
Before I install this new pigtail atop the LWCO are there guidelines as to proper height with regard to the boiler water line ? Seems to me that  the center of  pigtail should be above the water line,if so how much? Also,any rules as to whether the pigtail should be placed vertically or horizontally? In line with LWCO or perpendicular? Thanks

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Pigtails

Hi Mike-

Within reason, the higher about the waterline the better. The idea is to get the gauge and /or pressuretrol controls away from boiling water/live steam that could damage them. You can use some pipe fittings (bronze /red brass- available Home Depot) and extend the height up a bit. Place the pigtail at the top.  The pigtail should be oriented so you can't see the loop when you face it.(stand in front of the boiler)  Some of the older controls were sensitive to being level and so if the loop was set sideways, the thermal expansion of the loop, when it heated up, would tilt the controls.

I've attached a picture of a nice pigtail setup. Referencing the sight glass in the picture, you can see the pigtail/gauges are well above the boiler's waterline. Don't worry about filling the pigtail with water. It will fill adequately on its own with condensate.

- Rod
  • mike m_3
    mike m_3 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    So thats how you do it!

Thanks Rod, This set up of mine needs a little adjustment.Wish I had  ordered a longer pigtail but I will add a short red brass riser to get the pressuretrol and pressure gauge up away from the water line. Thanks for the picture, thats what I was hoping for.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    Only thing I'd add

is that yes the pigtail will fill with water -- eventually.  Until it does, though, you may find that the pressure (or, if you are using a vapourstat) bounces around a lot (it may bounce a vapourstat enough to make it shut off).  Only takes a few seconds to fill...  been there...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.