Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Residential Power Burner

Options
CWS
CWS Member Posts: 17
I have a single shot residential gas burner with no data on it from what looks like the 60's. It is controlled by a standing pilot honeywell gas valve 1/2 x 1/2. The boiler is drum type with a steel jacket which vents into a masonary chimmney. The burner is operated by a 3000rpm motor that moves the air into the burner tube housing NOT the burner tube directly. It appears that he housing should have a cover on it. By looking at the set up it looks as if the draft inducer forces air into the burner housing (this has a shutter on it) and then mixes with air and is forced into the burner tube. The only thing is that when I look at the end of the burner tube it is such a tight fit that the air doesn't seem to be able to enter the combustion chamber. Does this set up need a cover to operate properly? Does any one have a IOM on this type gas burner? I measured 3.5" wc out and the flame looks like it has too much orange. I do not have a combustion analizer to take CO2, O and CO readings but am in the process of getting one soon. Can someone help me determine if the cover is needed to help inrtoduce air into the burner tube? Thanks

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    Options
    A picture would help

me to identify exactly what you have. By the way orange in the flame is not a problem, yellow is a sign of lack of air. Orange is just dust and rust burning off as you disturb the burner. I have all kinds of manuals on different burners but need to be able to identify what you have first.

Any numbers or anything else to identify would help.

Does this burner have a pilot?
  • CWS
    Options
    Thanks Tim

Going to install a motor tomorrow. I will take pics then. Yes it does have a pilot. Interesting point on the orange color. I was always under the impression that orange indicated imcomplete combusition. No numbers anywhere on the burner or boiler but I will check again and post back tomorrow evening. thanks
  • CWS
    Options
    here is a pic

I have a pic of the burner. I also have a shot of the inside adjustable damper from the combustion blower and one shot going down the burner as in enters the chamber. 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    Options
    That is

an E-20 Economite Conversion Burner from Midco. There are still parts available.

DO NOT FIRE that burner with the front door off the burner as the flame will come back into the room.

It has a thermocouple operated safety pilot system. The door on the side is your primary/secondary air door. If you need any information e-mail me at gastc@cox.net and I will postal mail it to you.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I have four in the basement now!

2 are on the old steam boilers and 2 are leftovers from when the gas company worked on the Girlfriends boiler and her mothers boiler. I wasa glad last January when then relay on the Gilbraco boiler went at midnight and I had the spare burners to scavenge to keep the heat going. I think it is time for new boilers soon, The younger boiler was installed in 1937. The elder is the original H.B. Smith 101. The cobblers shoes and all that though. Plus it does not leak yet!
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.