Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Better stack vent dampers (than Effikal)

With the regular recalls and short lives of Effikal (Field) vent dampers the last 4 years or so, do any of you have any better suggestions?  Some say they are inherently troublesome, however, I haven't had a single failure of a damper installed prior to 5 years ago.  Some are now going on 12 years and no problems, so I am looking for a reliable alternative to the junk Effikal is putting out.    I have a number of steam boilers where I may be adding stack damper to cut the huge standby losses.  According to studies up in Minneapolis, fuel savings can run up between 4 to 7%, so they are cost effective as long as they are not constantly breaking down.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Not sure how much better but

Honeywell makes the D896 vent damper. Try locating the damper closer to the chimney so it gets less direct heat as this is what causes all of them to fail quite frequently.
  • Thanks...further out on the piping....

But the failure rate I've had went from zero on older units to about 50% with only a few years use....so it is more than just heat, its garbage design and quality.  Honeywell seem to have gone down the tubes with thier gas valves, I can only hope thier dampers are better.  How about Johnson controls?

• MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    Effikal recall

Google "Effikal vent damper recall"

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09008.html

That might cover/explain some of them.
  • Yep...

I've replaced a bunch under both recent recalls, but a bunch more just due to erractic operation....Switches don't make, etc.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    I have done some

extensive testing on dampers from Honeywell (D-80, D-892 & D-896), Effikal (Field),Flair and Johnson. In all cases when the damper is located directly after the draft hood or barometric versus further up he flue as close to the chimney or common vent as possible the fail rate is about 75%.

The issue is heat affecting both the metal expansion and contraction on the damper. This in addition to the effect of heat on printed circuit boards and end switches.

Dave I can't argue with your findings as to old being more dependable than new. Is this since Field bought out Effikal dampers? Have you contacted Field Controls?
This discussion has been closed.