Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boilers w/DHW capability

Options
Bill H.
Bill H. Member Posts: 30
I may have to replace my unreliable Laars EBP 110 gas boiler, which has domestic hot water capability (DHW). I am considering a Weil-Mclain Gold CGt unit which has a small internal tank which provides DHW. I don't have a need for great quantities of hot water, and such a unit would save the expense of a separate water heater. Do any of you have experience with this model or type of gas boiler, or have any bias either way?  Thank you kindly in advance for any guidance you may offer.

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I'd recommend....

Let me be the first to recommend the Prestige Excellence. While the W/Mclain is a good boiler, it is lower in efficiency that your Laars, 87% to 81%. I've installed several Excellence's with no problems and I think many on here will vouch for it as well. You could also use the same 5" hole of the Laars vent if it was sidewall vent ed and use the concentric vent the Prestige employs.

May I ask what kind of problems your EBP is having? The reason I'm asking is that someone has suggested the CGt which is what I'd call an Old School type of boiler.  The Laars technology is a bit more modern and requires a skill set and tools that an old school plumber may not have. The EBP had some early problems but I think they've been worked out and it is a fairly reliable unit. You may search around and/or give Laars a call to find a qualified service tech for your unit before spending money on a replacement.
  • Slimpickins
    Options
    I'd recommend

Let me be the first to recommend the Prestige Excellence. While the W/Mclain is a good boiler, it is lower in efficiency that your Laars, 87% to 81%. I've installed several Excellence's with no problems and I think many on here will vouch for it as well. You could also use the same 5" hole of the Laars vent if it was sidewall vent ed and use the concentric vent the Prestige employs.

May I ask what kind of problems your EBP is having? The reason I'm asking is that someone has suggested the CGt which is what I'd call an Old School type of boiler.  The Laars technology is a bit more modern and requires a skill set and tools that an old school plumber may not have. The EBP had some early problems but I think they've been worked out and it is a fairly reliable unit. You may search around and/or give Laars a call to find a qualified service tech for your unit before spending money on a replacement.
  • Bill H.
    Bill H. Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Reply to Slimpickens

I posted the major problem entitled "hydronic system noise" on 1/25/2010. I've had other problems that were cured by parts replacement ( water flow switch, anti-condensing valve, ignitor, inducer fan, gas valve). I have a service contract with my gas supplier which covered some of these parts, and they have not been able to adjust the combustion to spec. Laars has been contacted multiple times, and their position is that the coil assembly is clogged, which won't allow for proper combustion adjustment. Gas company reps say they have had much trouble with these units, and as the replacement part is 2-3 thousand dollars, plus installation ( complicated, time consuming ) they recommend replacement of the boiler. The noise it makes is loud, and last season I once thought the thing was about to explode.  I agree with you that it is a nicely designed boiler, but my experience so far is that its not as reliable as I expect a boiler to be.
  • Slimpickins
    Options
    Fire the Gas CO.

First off, I'd get rid of the service agreement with the gas company. My experience is their tech's are guys who can't make it in the real world of HVAC. No offense to the few good ones but they see a lot of different equipment and the EBP is probably too complicated for them to learn.

If they installed the boiler originally it probably never has had the combustion set up properly and that caused the heat X/C coil to clog. It's not that hard to clean and the instructions are pretty much laid out in the installation manual. It's also not hard to set up the combustion with the proper equipment and a command of the English language, it's all right there in the manual. They (gas co.) just want to sell you a boiler that doesn't take any brain power to service and repair if anything goes wrong.

I think its Joann from Laars that comments on the Wall from time to time, maybe she can recommend someone in your area to look at your EBP, are ya out there? Also try at the top of the page, "Find A Professional"
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Bill its not the boiler its the techs

some times people simply refuse to do things right and that leads to other things going wrong. saving you gas is not in the gas companies best interest. There best guys often find their own place out in the world.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Bill not all gas men

are bumbling idiots some actually can read and write and once in a while they fix things.

What is your location? As I have a gas man who specializes in Heatmakers and Endurance boilers. It is all in knowing what you are doing. I must agree however that if the coil is gone it may need replaced and that is a big expense which may be better applied to a new boiler.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    prestige excellence

Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence is the boiler to use it has 110,000 btu input for both heating and domestic hot warer needs. has a 14 gallon stainless steel indirect water heater built in and delivers 180GPH with a 70* F temp rise. can run two showers at one time if they are 1.6 ALSON shower heads. great boiler. I have on in my house and it works great.
This discussion has been closed.