Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keep Weil Mclain boiler?

Max_4
Max_4 Member Posts: 4
We live in an old house with gas FHW. In 2002 the giant old boiler died. I replaced it with a Weil Mclain GV boiler. The old boiler lasted about 70 years and seemed to have a problem about every 10 years.

It seems like the Weil has a problem every 2 years or so.  A couple of years ago I noticed a little water dripping down the jacket-- it made me nervous but I couldn't find the source and it just stopped on its own.

At the end of the last heating season another sensor or something broke again.

I'm considering replacing the Weil.

Would a condensing boiler, maybe a Viessmann, be a good choice for our house with mediocre insulation and big radiators and be less trouble?

Or should I go for a conventional boiler from somebody like Burnham?

Or just keep fixing the Weil and hope it lasts?

Thanks!

Max

Oh yeah, we have a separate gas water heater at the moment, but would consider going the indirect route.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Its like asking which car you should buy

Every one has its own fan group and everyone has had its own group of lemons. I have had both from Weil and I like them as a whole. they offer more basic boilers than the GV and they also offer mod con boilers. Boilers should be serviced every year gas or oil and this also for planned maintenance to try and stay ahead of the emergency calls in February. Veissman makes some wonderful equipment but it is the installer they makes the boiler.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    The gv does condense

it does not modulate though. It has had many incarnations and I must admit is my least favorite Weil boiler aside from one from the 1990's with a heat exchanger in the flue collector. Piping and controls are important for the GV as many were pipied like they were conventional cast iron boilers. The ones I have installed have had few problems. The last was caused by no gas and the one before was a mouse in the blower assembly.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited June 2010
    I am not aware of any version of

the Weil McLain Gold GV series that was a condensing boiler. It is considered a mid efficiency boiler with a bypass feature to prevent low return temperatures to the boiler. Typically it used Al294C venting of some kind. It did have the possibility of condensing in the flue as any Category three boiler has.

When going to a condensing/modulating boiler choice be aware that changes to your existing system may have to be made such as increasing length of emitters, outdoor reset, primary/secondary piping etc. This is all necessary in order to have full function of the condensing feature on the boilers.

If you have a good boiler technician servicing your boiler it should last as the Gold is a cast iron boiler.

Keep in mind that going to a higher efficiency package does not mean less service needed in fact most of them require some kind of annual cleaning. Also parts are very expensive and there are not a lot of people out there who know how to service them.
  • Charlie from wmass
    I was referring to the need

collect the condensate and drain it off at the bottom of the boiler Tim. This was why it has the top mounted burner as to the explanation I was sold when it was introduced. ( Not sure if it was the truth but it was what I was told) This is also why piping is so important with these as they wanted to keep the boiler on the border of condensation for efficiency but if it was too cool it would rot out the boiler. This seems to be showing up in my area as clogged drains on the condensate collector. Mid efficiency I would say is a better term.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    new boiler?

if going to a new boiler look at triangle tube prestige solo and prestige excellence 95% AFUE gas boilers. condensing boiler vents with pvc pipe and fittings come with outdoor reset control 10 year heat exchanger warranty. if your professional heating contractor offers service contract on the boiler system purchase it. it is like buying insurance so when you need heat you will have it. your heating contractor can also offer you a 5 or 10 year parts and labor warranty check it out.
This discussion has been closed.