Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what do I call this?

Options
Big Will
Big Will Member Posts: 396
There are four of them and two are leaking. 3" black iron pipe. Over 50 years old so great longevity. Dont know what to call it and neither does my vendor.

Comments

• Pics????

Can we see this?
  • Big Will
    Options
    pic

I think I did it right this time
  • Big Will
    Options
    got it

now you can see this ;)
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Dresser coupling

its a compression coupling for steel pipe
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Expansion Joint

Looks like a Steam Expansion joint. Is this on a steam or hot water riser?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    a cobb job is what I would call it.

looks like it has been leaking for awhile now. Dresser coupling would be what I would call it too. It may be there as an expansion joint. Looks like time to break out the gear reduction heads and thread some new pipe.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • a cobb job?

Whatever it is, 50 yr. longevity is not too shabby!

Looks like the leaking is caused by the piping itself corroding on the outside.
  • Big Will
    Options
    This is kinda funny

This fitting has no leak. The leaker is another riser room. I would like to know about the gear reduction head. I would have no choice but to thread in place. i have never seen a threader that would do that in such a tight spot. The two 3" lines are only about two inches apart. finally its hot water not steam. I brought the pic into the vender and he recognized it. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Sorry with it being 3" I thought it was steam.

I would say with 2 inches clearance no getting to threader in there. I would say 6" minimum clearance. The dresser coupling should be fine to go and get a new one and cut back to the good pipe.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Victaulic

I'd look into using Victaulic couplings and hire a fire sprinkler contractor to do the work.  They would need to cut out a 1-2 foot piece of pipe, cut-groove or roll-groove the two ends, fit a nipple in between and couple it together.

If the dresser coupling is intended as an expansion joint, then the nipple needs to be replaced by a grooved expansion piece which is made of braided stainless steel.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.