Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is Weil McClain a good boiler

Options
Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
I am looking to replace my 30 year old HB Smith oil boiler.  I really like the tankless water heater that is in the current unit.  I find it hard to justify the price of indirect water heaters so I'd like to stay with a tankless heater in the boiler.   I am looking at the Weil McClain WTGO-3 (115 100 .95).

Has anyone had problems with the Weil McClain? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Obie

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,788
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Boiler

Well it's a basic boiler with O-ring construction rather then push nipples ... O-rings can leak ...Seen a few after 20 years.... That model has been around for a long time ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options
    Tankless

you can not see the expense of a Hot water maker A tank less runs all the time as it says "SUMMER /WINTER". You  never have enough hot water , flashing from hot to cold . Not to mention the temperatures that you need to run. Can't have reset .In the long run you have to save money
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    good boiler

I prefer the Carlin EZ-1 on these. Switched to them a few years back, so far so good. That was the first boiler here that was coming with the Hydrostat low water cut off/aquastat . Made for a nice package
  • OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Haven't had any issues

I haven't come across a bad GO3 yet. We actually install a good amount of these boilers but we use the unit from JOMAR. They use the GO3 with there nameplate and because of that it is slightly discounted.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,358
    Options
    In my humble (?) opinion...

WM makes good boilers -- but so do several other folks.  Keep in mind that what you are really buying is the expertise of the installer; a great installer can do a great job with any one of several brands, but particularly one(s) he or she likes and knows best.  On the other hand, a poor installer can mess up any boiler beyond belief, if not beyond recovery.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    We use the special 3L Weil Mclain

in these Levitt homes . 4 foot off the ground right in the kitchen .

Out of the 3 or 4 different pin style boilers we use , the Weil has the lowest stack temp, which should translate to saving fuel . I'd rather see steel or cast iron push nipples holding the sections together , rather than the Neoprene rings . Very rarely do we see a leak on these boilers but when we do it's always at these seals . Like I said though ........ very rare . But we do take out quite a few of the 68 series ( the previous version of the Gold ) , 20 to 30 years old , usually leaking at the gaskets .

Overall , a solidly built boiler .   
This discussion has been closed.