Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

QUESTION: Should we open a section on the Wall for Domestic Hot Water?

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
Would that be helpful? Or is there not enough interest?

Thanks.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    Options
    no

there are plumbing forums for that already on other sites,

even though I do not regularly visit the other sites.

Still not interested.
  • djthx
    djthx Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Strictly Hydronics

I vote for a section that deals specifically with hot water heating issues (just like you have one for radiant and steam heat).  Right now, hot water heating issues are shared mainly on the main wall.  However, isn't the mail wall a general section where all subjects (dhw, steam, heating, co, hwh, etc.) are addressed?  I don't think we need a dhw section, I think we need a section for Strictly Hydronics.
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    A lot of info could be shared

Legionnaire information, thermostatic mixing, sizing strategies, tankless do's & don'ts.  How about some conversation about large load situations, new water heater technology or heat exchangers? 

One thing to consider would be the varying code requirements of different regions.  Here in Minnesota we have our own licensing and plumbing code.  Just a thought.

Side Note:

Oh, and I'm sure this would not take away from the content rich information about radiant on this site as others might be worried about......wouldn't it extend a contractors reach toward potential customers?....sounds like more bang for my find a pro buck!   

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    water heater wall

I work in sales for a P&H wholesaler and I like to come to the wall and look and see what contractors are talking about and some times put questions out on new products that my company sells and is looking at selling to see what professionals think of these products and to see if anyone is having trouble with these products.

If I was a heating HVAC contractor and there was one web site that I could go to and ask fellow professionals questions on heating Hvac and if they also had a site that would give me info on water heating with new products and comments on products that they are installing and working great plus products thay are having trouble with and this would help me doing business and making sure I am keeping my customers happy with the products I sell and helping me stay away from products that contractors are having trouble with this would help me grow my business by selling products that work and keep me from going back and fixing products that do not do what the manufacture says it will do.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    absolutely

I think 99% of the people here work on and sell domestic, so why not?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    No!

Too many sections already! It dilutes the traffic and makes browsing much less interesting!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Joannie
    Joannie Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I'd agree with "no", as well

I like to be able to browse the wall to get information, and to try to help people with our products.  As it is, I hardly ever remember that the "Gas Heating" section is there, and another section to check would likely be forgotten too often by me, as well.  It's handy for me to have it all in one place.

Just my 2 pennies' worth.

Joannie

Laars Heating Systems Company
  • WaterHeaterGuy
    WaterHeaterGuy Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Heating water is heating water

How about a combination appliance section... with so many dual use, combination appliances out there.

If a DHW question happens in there so be it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    No is my answer

it is getting more and more difficult to read all the different areas and stay up with what is happening. I find myself taking care of my area "Gas Heating" the main wall, the new Carbon Monoxide section and then if I have time I may browse the others it really takes a lot of time. I am so glad many times someone has already answered questions in my area so i have time to go to other areas. I sometimes do not post in areas that i feel have people who hang out here will surely chime in and give a good answer.

Perhaps expanding the descriptions on each area would help. I find home owners posting the same questions in two places plus sending me an e-mail.

I had thought about an area for just Mod/Cons discussion but did not mention it for the reasons mentioned above, perhaps it would fit with domestic hot water discussion to give a little more diversity if it must be done.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    No

I agree that is is easier for me when all the posts are together. I tend to browse the main wall first and then if I have time the strictly steam section unless I am dealing with a steam issue and seeking input. Just my 2cents.

P.S.  Dan Just wanted to say a quick "Hello" . It's been way to long since we've talked.

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Being a hot water guy...

... I see no real disadvantage in a place to easily find DHW talk.  If you have questions about it, wading through the Main Wall could be daunting.   I'll vote yes.

Yours,  Larry
  • Pidge
    Pidge Member Posts: 18
    Options
    No

Seems like there were more radiant heating questions, and many more replys to radiant heating questions, before it was separated from the main wall.  

I also liked looking at one list to find the threads that were interesting.

Some said they go to the Main Wall first, then the others, if they have time.  So, those assuming that a Domestic Hot Water section will lead to more comprehensive discussions may not be happy with the results. But, if my estimate is correct, and a new Hot Water section behaves like the Radiant Heating section, the discussions may decrease.

On the other hand, I'm all for objective experiments.  Dan, if the goal is information sharing, you can count the average number questions and replies before and after creating separate sections.  If the numbers say separate is better - cool.  If not, move it back to the Main Wall.

Bill Pidgeon
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Yes Please

I feel the section could clarify ideas relating to safe DHW production.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • EricAune
    Options
    Dan, I think your seeing a reluctance to change

I have only been coming here for a year or two but, in that time I saw the change over to the current site.  I have read many of the posts complaining of change.  Some had a hard time accepting the "new" wall.  It was only a short time until many of the same were posting their gratitude for upgrading an otherwise outdated forum.

Some may not like the additional categories, others asked for them.  We all have limited time to look through the posts; no one ever said you have to read them all. There is more information here than one can digest in a days time; news, resources, systems, jobs and events....

I think there are some very smart people here, most deal on a day to day basis with domestic water.  I think if the category is there you would see traffic, a measurement of that traffic would show whether it needed or not.

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Those were my thoughts as well.

If someone doesn't have enough time to spend on the Wall, they'd actually benefit from having sections that separate the subjects that interest them from the subjects that don't interest them. Many people asked for sections as we were building the new site. The RSS feature shows every new post, and as requested, it now shows the poster's name and the section in which that post appeared. But I have a feeling that many visitors don't take advantage of the RSS feature. Perhaps they don't understand how it works?

Thanks to those who are taking the time to take park in this discussion.
    Retired and loving it.
  • EricAune
    Options
    Any decision?

Bump

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Okay I'll

bite what is RSS?
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    "Really Simple Syndication"

RSS = "Really Simple Syndication." It's a way for a web site or page to send information to your browser when it is updated. So the computers check to see whether there's anything new instead of you needing to do it. I use Google reader, which uses RSS to allow me to "subscribe" to the Wall.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I say go for it....

It is not going to increase or decrease the amounts of questions being asked.

It just puts them in their own category.

ME

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Let's give it a go.

Those who aren't interested in the topic can just ignore it. 
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.