Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flooded oil burner

Options
toilburn
toilburn Member Posts: 44
Someone told me that it is against Mass. code to repair an oil burner that has been under water, you must replace the entire burner. I can not find anything iin the code related to this. Help

Comments

• OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Options
    i don't think so.

I haven't heard anything about this. I checked 527 CMR 4.00 specifically 4.04 and i can't find anything on it. I just skimmed through but there wasn't any mention of it. With all the flooding we've been having latlely if this where code, there would be alot of new burners being put in.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    never seen that either

but above and beyond just the burner electrical, there's firebox/chamber, if warm air, blowers and other controls, and insulation, etc. The list can go on, but I have never seen code stating that it can't be repaired
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Any appliance

which has been underwater must be replaced according to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). This is also supported by GAMA (Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association) which includes oil systems now due to recent merger of agencies. The codes do not address this as it is not their jurisdiction.

That includes washers, dryers, furnaces, boilers, water heaters etc.

The important thing is that most insurance policies will not cover repairs but will cover replacement.
  • One would wonder why??

While I agree gas-valves and such(made from aluminum) can be thrown out-of proper calibration, can the unit itself not be properly repaired if the owner wishes?

This is such a "throw away world" now days,,,,, then our elected " powers that be" complain about "overfilled" public dump sites,, what`s going-on?  
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Dave believe

me there is much more to it than just gas valves and burners. The truth is that replacing and repairing can sometimes cost more than it is worth.

In my 50 years of dealing with floods and believe here in RI we get water big time in basements, my own being one of them. The number of service calls back on equipment after it has been flooded and problems with soaked insulation and water in places that you wonder how it got there it is just better to replace it. That is also a good time to think about moving the equipment. More than one furnace, water heater or boiler has been moved to the garage or in the case of the furnace to the attic.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    replace

This would be mainly if an insurance claim is involved? just curious. A homeowner picking up his own tab might have different thoughts
  • OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I just checked FEMA

I couldn't find anything from FEMA or GAMA or anything else that said appliances MUST be replaced. It is recommended they be replaced but at the very least seviced by a qualified technician to make sure they are in proper working order.

Could you please post a link or some form of verification?
This discussion has been closed.