Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vaporstats

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
installed my last mercury vaporstat today, I had obtained a few over the last few years. Have gotten alot of bad reports on non mercury type. Any advise, I don,t want to use just pressuretrols. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    from what I have heard...

the new vaporstats are reliable enough, just not always properly calibrated.  They do, however, have a provision for adjustment of the calibration.  To do it, though, the system they are working on has to have a reliable low pressure gauge, preferably on the same pigtail.

But once they are calibrated they seem OK.  And they don't have to be perfectly level...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Calibration ...

Am I right in concluding that the calibration is not as important as how the v-stat controls the operation of the boiler?  By that I mean, assume you have a low pressure guage to meausure the pressure, you can could accept a miscalibration if you can find a setting that gives you the cut in and cut out that you want even if it does not precisely correspond to the cut in and cut out setting on the v-stat.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    thanks

thanks for the advise. I can;t see the proublem with a seperate pigtail. I always read oniy the 3lb guage when adjusting pressure
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    FJL is right --

as long as the calibration isn't too far off, it really doesn't make a difference.  I'm just one of those fussy types who likes to have their gadgets, if they have scales which read measurements, be at least reasonably correct... I also straighten things on shelves!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.