Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

windills and bats

gater
gater Member Posts: 1
Dan,

We do a local radio show and got onto windmills(from politics to solar it seemed a natural seqwey to me). Any way I'm purdy sure I read from you a story about windmills and bats but can not find it in the archives.

I mention this site when ever I can(here we do not do politics) but on the show we do.  It's locally oriented stuff mostly but, I do tend to stray.........

Anyway if it was from you or you know where I can find it we would appreciate it so much.

Thanks from The Mark and Steve Show.

<em>Steve Gates</em>

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I had a story about that in the weekly newsletter.

Here's a link to the main point:

http://cleantechnica.com/2008/08/29/study-finds-high-rate-of-bat-deaths-caused-by-drastic-changes-in-air-pressure-at-wind-farm/
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    edited March 2010
    Batty

Here in southeast Wisconsin WE energies has had complaints about the wind farm they put adjacent to an old mine that has a very large population of bats. The University of Wisconsin and the State have done studies about the effects of windmills on the bat population.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has had articles in their newspaper
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Illinois

There was also an incident of bats being killed by the mills at a "Polo Illinois" wind mill farm. I know they were shut down until some research was done. Not sure of what was done but the mills are up, and running now. 

Seems odd that a winged creature that flies by sonar would be affected. Interesting there are issues wide spread though.

Gordy
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    There have been...

a number of studies of which I am aware -- but for which I can't find links at the moment! -- in Scotland on the subject of windfarms vs. birds, particularly birds of prey.  Don't recall any on bats just at the moment.  But windfarms have been found quite consistently to be kind of rough on birds of prey (hawks, eagles, owls, that sort of thing) -- upwards of 10% mortality per year.  Makes one think...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.