Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Water heat Pilot Lite keep going out

Natural Gas water heater, 2 yr old, pilot lite won't stay lite. Every thing has been working fine, lite goes out, I relite it, no problem. Next day goes out and relite 4 more times.

Then when lite won't stay lite.

I assume its the thermo coupling, replaced and pilot lites and stay lite, all's well, untill pilot goes out again. 1 hr later.

Pilot flames burns clean and blue. Pretty good size flame. Sensor tip is up in the flame in same position as the old one.

What else can I check out??????

Could I have installed a bad , new thermocoupling?????

Comments

• eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Pilot Lite

A couple of things to check,

Make sure the venting system is not compromised anywhere.

Even though its been fine for a couple of years check to make sure it is vented and drafting properly. Its possible your vent is catching a breeze from the roofline blowing out the flame,.

You may look into a thermocouple pilot assembly with a shield on it. I have had to use a couple on some Rheem/Ruud water heaters to solve similar problems. I called up the manufacture and that was their fix. ordered them up, and after replacing never had a call back.

Condensation could be dripping down on the pilot, if it is being run cold for extended periods of time. (Rare, I have only seen this on some commercial laundry jobs with residential water heaters)

If the above is in order you may consider calling the manufacture and check with them to see if they have a known issue.
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    I think we have a fix.

I have gone there all the combustion air and blockage on the flue, ect.

Just in case all are you are loosing sleep over this water heater problem...........I tested every thing and determined I had more of a problem than thermocoupling. Call Whirlpool and tec said bad gas valve, is sending service out in the AM to repair under warrentty.

Whirlpool contracts with Sears to do warrenty work, so far, everyone has been a dream to work with!!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Whirlpool and several others who use

the Whirlpool brand with another name have had problems with controls. They replace them for free along with labor coverage.
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks for the update

It is always good to hear how a problem was solved, and nice to see a manufacture make things right.
This discussion has been closed.