Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Licesed master plumbers.

REX
REX Member Posts: 29
Who thinks only licensed master plumbers should be aloud to install/service heating systems? I think its plumbing....so u should be a licensed plumber. Carpenters or any tom,**** or harry should not be able to do it. And you,how do you feel about it?

RVW

Comments

• REX
    REX Member Posts: 29
    :)

befor im booted for that comment,i must say......it was a hoot! :)
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    licensed plumbers

I disagree with your statement that it's plumbing so licensed plumber should do it. Certainly there is piping and water hookup and all that, but here in Maine we have plumbing, oil and gas licensing and it is very clear as to who can do what. With a heating system, only the licensed burner mechanic can do the whole job, including the power wiring. The plumber is limited as to what he can do, and if it's a gas boiler, you have to be a licensed gas technician to do the job.

I know Maine is way ahead of a lot of place ( not all but a lot), but I like it that way. It is clear cut who does what and under what license.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    I tend to agree with Al

although I think that here in Connecticut a Master Plumber can do the whole job, legally at least.  But there really are very different trades here.  I, for example, will happily do plumbing, including such nowadays arcana as pipe threading... been a long time since I wiped a joint, though, come to think of it... and the electrical stuff -- but I won't touch a burner with a barge pole.  I've not the training for it, and I won't go near them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Dude, Easy!

Language? Get a good nights sleep.
  • PAN
    PAN Member Posts: 1
    master plumbers

Sorry but very few master plumber I know have the skills on heating systems 2 very diffeent animals.
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    LMP

In my area,  there is no licensing, so we see all manner of mess.  I think the bigger issue is inspection.  I have seen many installs in my county that were done by plumbers- at least thats what their phone book listing calls them-  that would never pass inspection 20 miles south if here.  ( Nothern NJ in my experience has some very thorough inspectors)   I learned from an uncle who was a union plumber- not a fitter.  And of course his experience was more on the commercial side.  We do all of our installs so that they would pass a thorough inspection, even though our local inspections are sometimes cursory.  I do not have a license, but I (we) only work on products that we have knowledge , and training on.  We install burnham oil, but don't service burners( we're not a service company)  We install TT, and crown , and WM  mod cons, and do service them, as we have knowledge, and in the TT case the parts.

My county recently established electricians licensing,  if they license plumbers, I'll be right there.   If this sounds odd to any of you,  NY is a home rule state.  The state stays out of these matters, and leaves it up to the locals,  a lot positive and negative could be said abuout this, but gov't not expanding its reach generally is a good thing.  In my county only the cities have licensing

This discussion has been closed.