Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 hours?

Rick_41
Rick_41 Member Posts: 67
Ok,..I don't THINK anyone accuses me of being cheap and I know running a business cost more in hidden charges tahn most not currently in that business realizes but I just got a bill from my oil company in which right before the normal yearly servicing and claening we had to call for no heat,..the problem was deemed a clogged oil filter and nozzle,..they charged for the  filter (spin-on)and nozzle separately but also for an hour of installing each. My old indepandent heating guy now retired thought it was high  (I know you are not supposed to say what things cost here but lets say it was expensive hourly charge for this area.

Do you think that this charge was in line?

Not too happy with these guys as they replaced a 600.00 combustion chamber of a system 2000, last year (2nd one in three years) w/o discussing it...

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Rick,

the reason why we don't discuss price here, or second-guess the price that other professionals charge, is that there are too many variables from one part of the country to the next, and from one job to the next.

That's why it's one of the rules of the Wall. Thanks for understanding.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rick_41
    thank you dan

I think I do understand,..I wasn't questioning how much they were charging,..(rate) my question was, if the two hours they charged in doing a spin on filter and nozzle change was considered normal,.They also charged for a basic service call..I'm not a heating man and having been in the plumbing business 30 years ago for something else and never ran my OWN heating OR plumbing  business working for those that did, so I can understand my being out of the loop in understanding business charges but I have, in my day certainly changed a few filters and nozzles in the past,..my recall is that it wasn't very time consuming even resetting electrodes and checking basic combustion,.(which I'm told they DIDN'T do.)

If this questioning is out of of line, I apologize,and disregard this addendum.

(BTW I feel HONORED that,.......  Dan Holohan,.. took the the time to even read my post!!!)
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    edited February 2010
    I understand

and I appreciate your being so understanding. Some of the guys who work in, say, New York City, have to send two men to a job. One to do the work; the other to watch the truck. Some roads are more congested than others and traffic ties up the time that they are selling. Someone has to pay for that. Other guys are rural and cover a wide area. Again, there's time involved.

So many variables, and that's why no one on the Internet should give you an answer about how long or short any job should be. It's how we keep peace in the valley here at HH.com.

Again, thanks for understanding.
    Retired and loving it.
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 64
    2 hours

Dont forget that there also had to be time spent in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem.  I think that you are only looking at the replacement and installation time.
  • MikeOBrien
    MikeOBrien Member Posts: 7
    Apples to apples

You must compare apples to apples Ric.  If you feel like you got taken, then say something to the person whom you feel took you.  Communication is amazing.
  • Rick_41
    "Tryin"

To understand , but I think  the best thing to do is  get a privateer to service this unit, again my old guy retired a few years ago. Not sure an oil company provider is the best for servicing anyway.

I think they have lost credibility w/me at this point. I doubt talking to them will help. When I questioned them why the combustion chamber failed after a couple of years, AND  why they didn't inform me that they were going to do this (after a service call of no heat again)  I got the answer that they just saw a problem and fixed it,..

They know the building to be owned by an out of state company.

As I said, I'm not one to usually question a bill *but I do know some guys "qualify" a customer.  My  buildings are  in my companies name, you wouldn't believe the quotes I sometimes get because some "are sure" that I am a very wealthy owner. ( I'm not and I certainly know what SOME  things cost. )

A few years ago I owned properties close together ( 10 houses down) and asked to replace the sewer line out to the road. Same distance w/o any trees etc in the way. One I called in as my company, the other my secretary  called in as old Ms Smith...the quotes from the same guy was a bit more than double to me. (my family is in the excavation business in another state and I grew up in that business )

We have done this a few times in the past with things like roofs,carpets, sidewalks etc.. Guys that have been fair with us we don't question.

I believe we live and die by our reputations.

So I try not to be paranoid and I want to be fair to guys trying to make a living,but I resent things like this qualifying what someone thinks I can pay. 

* Last year I wrote nearly  3,000 checks,..questioned only 2-4. Worked those out as most were honest mistakes.
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    they should have just done your annual cleaning a bit early

which would I assume include the filter,the nozzle and their installation.

might not have saved you much . but you would be happier knowing your annual service was all done.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.