Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TT Solo Prestige vs. power outage

Just a quick question from a non-professional: I love my TT Solo Prestige 110 boiler, but am wondering what happens if/when the power goes out? Does having a fancy smart boiler mean no heat when the lights go out? If it doesn't go out, how is it controlled?

Just trying to prepare for two sick kids and 20 inches of snow in D.C. (where we have no idea what to do with that much snow).

Comments

• Move to California

Even out here, when the power goes out, you've got no heat unless you have a generator.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Margaret Ross
    Margaret Ross Member Posts: 11
    re: move to california

Okay, I know I'm not the brightest bulb, and naive in the world of home heating. I was just wondering, since the gas oven stays on, if the gas boiler did as well. Thanks!

I'm from California, where we had electric heat, not gas, so when the power went out we were definitely (though, frankly, only minutely) colder.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Since you have gas in the house

a freestanding or wall hung gas heater that requires no electric is a great backup heat source. I have one that looks like a wood stove with a thermostat that is set to 55 degrees. It has already saved my plumbing when I was gone for a week and had a boiler breakdown.
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Fancy smart or no-frills stupid,

If you have a circulator moving the water through your system you will not have heat when the power goes out.

Tony has the best recommendation.  If you live in an area where power is sometimes interrupted you should consider your options for some kind of back-up heat source. 

Generators are great, the whole house automatic type, but are a little over the top if you do not experience regular outages. 

Good luck!  I am sitting in Minnesota and we are experiencing a welcomed heat wave.  The mercury is about to blow out the top of the thermometer at about 25*F today.  A welcomed change over our regular (all winter) of sub-zero temps this time of the year.  About to go put on some shorts....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Just make sure the gas fired appliance is vented to the outside...

no "VENTLESS" appliances.

They're still out there.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    and even

if it vented to the outside, make sure that you have a working CO detector in the vicinity, and that all your clearances and everything are correct...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.