Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it just my Macintosh?

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
I start a sentence and complete it. I usually hit the return twice to start another paragraph. I just hit it 5 times, and the cursor never moved. If I hold the space bar down, it sends the cursor all the way to the end of the dialogue box, but doesn't drop down to give another paragraph. Anyone else experiencing this same phenomena? TIA ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,870
    try rebooting your Mac

I also have a mac os 10.6.2, no problem. if you reboot and it still happens i guess you can dump the cookies like we used to do with the prior version of  the Wall. or try another browser. I'm on Firefox 3.5.7.  sometimes i also use disk utility to 'repair permissions' on the hard drive--usually after I've installed any new software--and that helps. but just restarting often solves the glitch. good luck.
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited February 2010
    Reboot test 1

Testing Testing, 1,2,3 No difference. No paragraphs.... Will try dumping cookies next. ME

Huh? I came back in to edit the text, and viola, I have a RETURN.

I was coming back to say that it wasn't the actual Return key, because it works fine in other apps.

Oh well. Its fixed.

Thanks David.

ME

• D107
    one more thing...

i forgot to mention the first thing i usually do is reboot the browser only, which sometimes works, before proceeding through the other steps. The good thing is that by the time i'm done i've usually come up with some new, very creative expletives.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

Here's what I just wrote the dialog box: "I've never had that problem but since I'm using Safari, I "reset" Safari frequently [. . .blah blah. . .] Using 10.4.11" I NOW HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL BACK AND EAT CROW. Why? Do you notice a severe dearth of paragraphs?! I get no RESPONSE from the RETURN key now. Mark, I honestly have never had this problem until responding to this very post! The "return" keystroke does not register at all. However, all my past posts are fine. Dunno. Will just have to try again later. -Terry grrrr

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Paste a return

I'm having the same problem (OS X 10.6.2) running Chrome. I found that I could paste in a return copied from another application and that works just fine. Not as nice as the return key working but better than rebooting, etc.

• Royboy
    Royboy Member Posts: 223
    edited February 2010
    just saw this thread

after commenting on the same phenomena in the "suggestion" room. I can't do returns now in Safari 4.04, can do them using Firefox 3.5.7. for those of us who can get a little verbose, this might make for some mighty lengthy paragraphs. (or we can use lots of spaces to separate thoughts ... :-) I also noticed, when checking it out in Firefox, that there's a whole palette of options for text formatting that appears in Firefox and not in Safari. hmmm....

[edit: noticed that the "lots of spaces" option that I tried in the paragraph above actually didn't come through (again, in Safari) and now I'm doing an edit and voila! - as reported - the returns work] isn't the cyber universe entertaining ...
  • D107
    ok now this looks like a site issue

I just experimented with this and another thread on safari, same problem on both. So there's probably an adjustment required at heating help. i'm assuming people were using safari before with no problem. firefox no problem.
  • Royboy
    just testing

to see if, having reconnected with the return in the above edit, whether its retained in a new post or not. no it isn't. :-( oh, well, I'm sure the wizards will be on it promptly :-)
  • Royboy
    correct

Safari worked fine before and I've not recently updated it. first noticed the glitch yesterday.
  • Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    test

test , yep it's hapenning to me too. Must be a anti-Mac dude or dudette at Active Media Architect.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    Testing...

Testing...

testing.

testing...

Nope.  Sorry guys -- I'm using Windows Vista (shudder) and Internet Explorer 8 (sounds of shock) and it works just fine...

Don't know!

Of course, I can never decide whether the character in the anti-span thingy is an 'O' (letter) or an '0' (number) -- but that may just be something about advancing age?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I've asked them to look into it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited February 2010
    Take 2

Testing testing 12 3 aw crap, it's doing it again! Am going to post, come back and see if it changes like it did before. ME

Dan, FYI, after I post, when I come back in and use the EDIT button, it works

Just

Dandy!

I dunno....

ME

• Royboy
    oh right

just lord your windows experience over us poor Safari users confined to a single paragraph
  • DanHolohan
    I asked them to read the whole thread and see what they can do.

Thanks for such a thorough report. It really helps.
    Retired and loving it.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    edited February 2010
    Test

Static pressure+velocity pressure.

Equals total pressure.

I think.

I'm using the Camino browser.

Camino is Fire-Fox for Mac .

I think ?

p.s. works for me.

• ttekushan_3
    I just left a customer review a few pages over

on Dan's new Greening Steam book. The RETURN worked just fine over there in the Store's comment dialog box. Just not in the forum. Today. Interesting. -Terry without paragraphs

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• JerseyWreckDiver
    JerseyWreckDiver Member Posts: 14
    Dump your preferences

One of the best old standby bug fixes is to dump the preference files for the app. your having trouble with.

Their located in the library folder; preferences. Move it to the trash but don't empty the trash, then restart the app. and the OS will crate a new file. If it has not effect you can take the original out of the trash and replace the new one with it so you won't have to re-save all your user info (passwords, autofill and such)

There are two pref. folders. The primary is in the HD, Library. The user specific is in the User folder, Library. Sometimes you have to dump both.

• DanHolohan
    Thanks for the kind words, Terry.

And I heard from Jon, the boss at AMA, last night. He wants you all to know that everyone at AMA uses Mac and they don't hate them. :-)

They're looking into this situation this morning. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Royboy
    yes and

given that it appears to have happened to everyone using Safari, I'm expecting to see the fix is out there on the cloud side of things. hate to lose all the settings in the preference file(s). good suggestion, though, for when its just your problem.
  • DanHolohan
    Jon at AMA tells me this is fixed.

Please let me know if you're still having a problem. Thanks for your patience, and for the feedback. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Let's see...

Testing

Testing

WOO HOO, It works again.

Thanks for all you do and will do in the future Dan.

Now, if they can just eliminate O's and 0's from the security check text script... :-)

ME

• DanHolohan
    Thanks.

I've asked for a quote on changing the CAPCHA to something better, perhaps an easy math problem. Waiting to hear back from AMA.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ttekushan_3
    really easy math problems, right?

Something like this?

Using successive approximations prove that

y(x) = g(x)+⋋∫aK(x,t)y(t)dt ,

= g(x)+∑ m=1⋋m∫aKm(x,t)g(t)dt

:-)

Terry T

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    CAPTCHA

I've never had a ZERO .. I think they have pulled that character .. AFAIK there are no other confusing characters ... it's ALWAYS a uppercase-o.

Dan .. they shouldn't quote too much for simple changes .. perhaps you could just shorten it to 3 characters rather than 6.

I've also been thinking that it should not require CAPTCHA if you have successfully posted X number of times, that would be nice.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    Chrome on Windows XP

I am having no problems with the latest version of Chrome for Windows -- 4.0.249.78, which is based on a Safari engine -- or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.